This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sludge.....Gone!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sludge.....Gone!!

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Tezell wrote:I just pressure washed it out and then sprayed some brake cleaner in it to dissipate the mositure. Didn't take long just very very messy. I am going to let it dry out for a few days before I button it back up and add new oil.

After that cleaning, I'd get some oil into it, run it and get it completely warmed up as soon as possible. I would be concerned about flash rust after that thorough of a cleaning. Might not leave the first change of oil in too long either.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon May 19, 2014 8:13 am

Don't forget to flush the oil filter housing...... put the bolt back in when you do it so the swill goes into the oil pan (or out the drain tube).
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67235
Tractors Owned: '48 IHC

Postby alfreema » Mon May 19, 2014 9:45 am

Tezell wrote:I just pressure washed it out and then sprayed some brake cleaner in it to dissipate the mositure.

What did you use in your pressure washer, just water? Also, is your pressure washer heated?

I gotta feeling I might be in the same boat as you once I take off my valve covers. My pressure washer allows me to add an additive to the water. But it's a cold water washer only -- no heater.

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Mon May 19, 2014 10:08 am

Ever pushed a pick-up? They are 2 tons. Just put your butt Into it and use your legs.

I had my cub stall on flat blacktop and used the rear wheels like a wheel chair and pushed it back to the garage so it can't be that hard.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon May 19, 2014 10:54 am

Running the engine with just kerosene in the crankcase is a really good way (sarcasm) to get a clean engine... after it comes out of the parts washer at the machine shop!!

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Mon May 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Just used cold water and the pressure washer. What a messy job. I threw away my clothes and got in the shower with a bottle of Dawn and a strong brissled brush. I still have.....what ever that stuff was all over me. I quess I will have to wear it out??

I am refilling it with oil this afternoon. I cannot run it yet. I have it 90% dismantled and most parts are ready to paint. Maybe I can start it by next Monday.
"I ain't believing this!"

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Mon May 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Running the engine with just kerosene in the crankcase is a really good way (sarcasm) to get a clean engine... after it comes out of the parts washer at the machine shop!!

You can crank the engine without firing it. I didn't know if that was what Eugene was driving at. Hence, my question.

schmibm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby schmibm » Tue May 20, 2014 9:08 pm

Tezell wrote:Just used cold water and the pressure washer. What a messy job. I threw away my clothes and got in the shower with a bottle of Dawn and a strong brissled brush. I still have.....what ever that stuff was all over me. I quess I will have to wear it out??

I am refilling it with oil this afternoon. I cannot run it yet. I have it 90% dismantled and most parts are ready to paint. Maybe I can start it by next Monday.

That is the best way to clean a dirty engine like yours. I clean big tractor (Farmall H&M) rear ends the same way. Pull the top cover off, remove the drain plug and pressure wash all that caked on grease out. Cold water works good. It is the pressure that cuts it off. Hot water would be better, but you work with what you got. Let it dry out a bit and toss some oil back in. Any residual moisture will evaporate off when the oil gets hot. No worse than condensation in the oil from operating on a hot day and cold soaking overnight in a humid environment. The moisture will burn off no issue.
1949 Project Cub
1955 Cub Lo-Boy "Jack"
1957 Cub Lo-Boy "Mac"
1957 Cub with 5' Woods Belly Mower "James"
24 other Farmalls A thru SMTA.

Return to “Farmall Cub”