This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Chemical stripping or sandblasting hood

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cubby
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45069
Tractors Owned: 26,27,28 farmall regular
47cub= Cubby
48 cub=Rusty
49cub=BEEcub
75 cub=Lemon Juice
76-CUB=RED BIRD
53 AC-WD
NH TC-18
53 "H"
67 sears SS-12
3 CADET ORIGINALS
73 Wheel Horse-Automatic
Cadet 73
Cadet 70
Cadet 100(2)

Chemical stripping or sandblasting hood

Postby cubby » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:10 pm

Well,I'm moving along to the next thing on my list for Lemon Juice.I need to clean and strip the hood and tank,so i can paint it.I have always used a company that uses a chemical stripper to get the metal ready.The problem is, he took 4 months to get the tank and metal done last time.Im needing to get everything done so i can use the tractor to do my fall plowing.What is the difference if i have it sandblasted? what do i want to use,as far as sand-glass beads,ect-.If i sandblast it,how should i get all of the sand out of the parts.Is there any parts i should not sandblast.I plan on taking all the metal off i can and still have a rolling frame to move around the shop.I do not need to do anything to the engine.I put a clutch in and did the carb.at the Barnyard Bash with a lot of help.Thanks again to all who helped.Rick

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Chemical stripping or sandblasting hood

Postby Rob in NH » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:13 pm

i would sandblast it. i rinse the inside out to get the fumes out then plug the openings to keep the sand out. if you do it yourself i would use the fine black beauty. i usually have a sandblast company do the job for me.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:41 am

I sandblasted mine and also used a wire wheel on it. Came out great. I'm not sure a chemical stripper would touch any corrosion if there were any present. I took pains to do the underside as well, including priming.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:49 am

I would suggest a 4-1/2" angle grinder set up with a twisted wire wheel and/or twisted wire cup. I've used those two with great success on two other Cubs and an H. Since I don't have a sandblaster and don't want to mess with chemicals, I've found this to be a great way to get paint (and everything else) off. Just don't let the wire brush bite you!

Wish you success in the method you choose. :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

cubby
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45069
Tractors Owned: 26,27,28 farmall regular
47cub= Cubby
48 cub=Rusty
49cub=BEEcub
75 cub=Lemon Juice
76-CUB=RED BIRD
53 AC-WD
NH TC-18
53 "H"
67 sears SS-12
3 CADET ORIGINALS
73 Wheel Horse-Automatic
Cadet 73
Cadet 70
Cadet 100(2)

Postby cubby » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:13 am

Thank you all for the information.I think i will try the sandblaster company and the wire wheels this time.This way i have more control of the time line of getting things done.Rick

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:23 am

Only problem with sandblasting sheet metal is that it is too easy to warp things if you blast on a spot a little too long.

You could end up with the summer help doing your hood with no prior experience... An experienced pro will know how far he can push things without warping.

I prefer an angle grinder with a paint stripper wheel.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:29 am

cubby wrote:I have always used a company that uses a chemical stripper to get the metal ready.The problem is, he took 4 months to get the tank and metal done last time.
Wife had a business stripping finish off of wood furniture. Near the end of the life of the stripper in the tanks, she could strip paint off of car parts.

You didn't want to do car parts until you were ready to replace the stripper because any grease or oil would would be absorbed by the wood.

This might explain the 4 months wait.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:Only problem with sandblasting sheet metal is that it is too easy to warp things if you blast on a spot a little too long.

You could end up with the summer help doing your hood with no prior experience... An experienced pro will know how far he can push things without warping.

I prefer an angle grinder with a paint stripper wheel.

Agree. Unless you have someone that is really knowledgable I would not let a sandblaster near it. Even then I would be hesitant. My Super A's gas tank was sandblasted. The guy that did it is very professional and knowledgable, and yet I still had sand in the bottom of the sediment bowl after I ran it a while.....

They're pretty nasty but I would stick with the wire wheel.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

drice
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19021
Tractors Owned: 1968 lowboy 1978 f cub and lots of cub cadets

Postby drice » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:18 pm

I like sand blasting on certain things.the tank will be fine to blast and items u can remove easly.use duct tape to cover every opening real good.i don't blast engines and drive train.you will never get a better finish than blasting the metal looks new.

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:11 pm

here is mine before and after. i used a threaded plug in the bottom and the old fuel cap and had no sand get inside. sand blasting is the perfect way to start a resto of your tank. Image Image

Return to “Farmall Cub”