This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Spell Check

How do I.... ?
Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Spell Check

Postby Jeff Silvey » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:06 pm

I may have missed it but is there a spell check on the form somewhere. I know i'm not the best speller. An some times we all hit the wrong keys.
Jeff :D
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:37 pm

Jeff,

I think the best check has always been available... it's called proof read before posting. :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:44 pm

Thanks George. The form has been a GREAT help to me. There is still and always will be GREAT people out their. My dad alway said TRUST your instink. :D You folks are GREAT.
Jeff
In my line of work

" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:54 pm

Jeff,

You could always use your favorite word processing program to write in then copy and paste into the forum.

The best is to proof read since spellchecker will not correct words that were used incorrectly.

Their is always a possibility that you choose the incorrect word two use and spell checker will not find the mistake.

:lol: :D :P

Chad

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:35 pm

Proofreading is more effective if you reformat the message so things are positioned differently than when you typed them in. Something as simple as changing margins will help errors stand out.

When posting to this forum, click on the "Preview" button and proof the message as it is displayed back to you. If you make changes to the input, you can click "Preview" again for an updated display. This also is a way to verify your IMG and URL tags.

It is usually obvious when somebody just slops a question in. I figure when somebody peppers their post with bad spelling and terrible grammer and doesn't put in enough effort to make their questions easy to read, there is no reason for me to put in the effort to look up an answer.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:46 pm

It is usually obvious when somebody just slops a question in. I figure when somebody peppers their post with bad spelling and terrible grammer and doesn't put in enough effort to make their questions easy to read, there is no reason for me to put in the effort to look up an answer.

Right on, Jim! :D Sloppy writing should get all the respect it deserves. Communication isn't a personal thing... it's a two way street. Writing ability isn't, nor should it be a requirement here, but effort does count. Let's all do our best. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:13 pm

Jim Becker wrote:

Hmmm....and "grammer" would be spelled how Jim? Or were you referring to a pet name for your Grandmother?

LOL... Just joking, because it's funny how one often puts a noose around one's neck when one is standing on a soapbox. I do it all the time myself.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:04 pm

Interesting- has anyone been on other forums lately where they seem to be speeking in another language- where half the words are short hand or abbreviated and all kinds of acronyms. This is one of the few where most members right everything out.

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:41 pm

The hart parr oliver forum i am on has spell check built in to the forum
Image On To Bigger Things

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:33 pm

Incurring the risk that I may somehow offend... I will tender my own tuppence worth on the topic....

I agree wholeheartedly with George who said:

Communication isn't a personal thing... it's a two way street.

When I went to school spell checking was actually learning how to spell. They had tests for that - usually on a daily basis. Spelling was part of the English Grammar portion of the English Studies curriculum along with English Literature and English Composition. Grammar and Spelling were two of the most important parts of a student’s tool box to succeed and to move on to the next grade each year. Spelling was actually made into fun via the Spelling Bee.

Unfortunately the basics of education no longer seem to be valid anymore, as Reading, Writing and Arithmetic no longer constitute the fundamentals of education today. Most of it is how to use a calculator or a spell check feature in a Word Processing program. The new science of education experiment has failed miserably much to the detriment of all our students today. This failure goes a long way to explain the oft-quoted minimum 40% functional illiteracy rates found on both sides of the border.

Em and I have harped on Spelling Skills to my 5 children as they strove to spell correctly in Two languages. They have succeeded in the most part and can hold their own even with those from previous generations. Theirs was a tad more difficult as they were attending French school and living in an English world in a Multi-Lingual household.... I think Em and I did well to harp. Also, one other impediment... in Canada we use the Queen's English as do most of the Commonwealth countries, but the rest of the world and including the Internet and ALL software programs communicate in US English.

This makes for still more confusion but at the same time, makes the study of our common language all the more enjoyable and memorable. At least to my mind.

Btw, my spelling in French and German equal my grammatical skill - basically zilch, so I do understand how hard it can be to gain command of these skills in a multi-lingual world.

Geesh... seems I am on me Image today.. time to jump down.. :wink: :idea: :arrow: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:00 pm

I can spell, but my typing is atrocious. If I am in a hurry I tend to not go back and proof read it as closely as I should. I've noticed most of my mistakes are lack of coordination between right and left hand (letters out of order). I have been told that is form being ambidextrous, but even if that's not correct it sure sounds good.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:21 pm

Shucks, John, I stil luv ya!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:30 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:Hmmm....and "grammer" would be spelled how Jim? Or were you referring to a pet name for your Grandmother?

LOL... Just joking, because it's funny how one often puts a noose around one's neck when one is standing on a soapbox. I do it all the time myself.

You should have seen what it looked like the first time I hit "Preview". I think I got it close enough that most people could read it without having to study individual words to guess what they were intended to be. You know, like trying to guess what things like ROTFLMAO, WYSIWYG or LOL mean.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:23 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:Hmmm....and "grammer" would be spelled how Jim? Or were you referring to a pet name for your Grandmother?

I think I got it close enough that most people could read it without having to study individual words to guess what they were intended to be. You know, like trying to guess what things like ROTFLMAO, WYSIWYG or LOL mean.

My case in point Jim...fat guy on soapbox, noose around neck.

While we're on the subject of abbreviations: You do live in the USA, pay taxes to the IRS, which in turn funds FEMA, FBI, CIA, USMC, USAF and many other abbreviated organisations. You reside in TX, get your mail from the USPS, and posted recently that part of your job entails writing programs which generate HTML.

As far as LOL and ROTFLMAO, I recommend that everyone do them as much as possible.

In the very best humour, Jim

Tom

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:28 pm

Well I understand that proper grammar and spelling is extremely essential. With that being said, I also know the English language is very confusing too. Take for instance TO, TWO & TOO or THERE, THEIR, and THEY'RE better known as Homonyms, which means words that sound alike but each have different meanings.

I have always hated grammar and spelling, AND I make mistakes with it every single day, but I do not make my living with words. I am a highly skilled craftsman and I do it with numbers.

When I read something that may have bad grammar or spelling I overlook it, I know for the most part what the author is trying to point out. I will hit my "preview" tab several times before actually hitting "submit" I still don't see the mistakes and usually don't see them in the post.

I must have a form of dyslexia and I have to be very careful with both numbers and letters. If I see a blueprint that has a for instance .357" I will write the program as .375" because .375" = 3/8" and that is what I have stuck in my brain.

Now that I have carefully checked and rechecked this and also used my spell-check to check it yet once again for the "CORRECT POLICE" It will now be submitted to the forum.

If this is what the members of the forum is going to bitch about and NOT reply to questions asked, due to poor grammar and spelling, then maybe I need to find another place to seek out my advice. So if this is the case, where does the UN-REGISTER feature reside at and I will be on my way?

This is a Cub forum is to seek help and friendship, NOT a grammar or spelling course. Most the time, bad spelling on a forum is due to poor typing skills, there again I am very guilty of that too. (too = as in also)

John Niekamp

PS: Spell check would be an excellent idea, this forum has a lot of really neat things going on already.
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”