This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Adding a rear pto

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
macdaddy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Adding a rear pto

Postby macdaddy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:26 pm

I want to add a rear pto to either my 582 or 149 or both. Don't really need it but want it.
Does anybody have any info on how to do this?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:32 pm

Won't be easy, but you can add one to the 582, as long as it is not a 582 Special (Peerless transaxle), but not to the 149 because it is a hydro (hydrostatic drive). A PTO from a Farmall Cub or another Cub Cadet, will fit the 582, but the top shaft in the transmission will have to be changed (pricey if you can find one) and you will have to find the PTO shift linkage from a 582 with a PTO or try to adapt one from some other gear drive wide frame Cub Cadet such as a 108, 128, 800, 1000, 1200, or build your own linkage. Shift linkage wise, it would be easier to put one in an Original, a model 70, 71, 72, 73, or 100 because they used the same shift linkage as the Farmall Cub.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:15 am

I have a installation Manual on a file for the rear PTO for the model 70, 100 & 1x2 I can E-mail you. Its a large file.
I have been looking for a main shaft for an Original for a couple of years. I think I am finally getting one made. Since there isn't anything to turn with them except flat belt equipment with the flat belt pulley installed you can do as I have been doing for 2 years and install the parts and fake it.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:26 am

I had looked up the cost of the shaft from a dealer $307 but I did find 2 for $228 each plus shipping.
Here is the rest of it on E-pay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
and it's not complete as the block off plate and guard are missing(like most PTO's). The block off plate is used to remove the PTO if it interferes with other implements.
You can also buy a Hub City reverser(Cub & Cub cadets turn the wrong way) for about $400. Once you have that all on you can sell it for $200 more than without :D .
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

macdaddy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby macdaddy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:09 pm

I think after reading all the posts and thinking about that, I don't want to do it. There is nothing I can run with it
Thanks to everybody.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:33 am

I also explored the idea of installin' a PTO on my Model 73 Cub Cadet. The guys are RIGHT...IT JUST ISN'T WORTH THE TIME OR EXPENSE for the limited equipment you can operate! :cry:

Take that money you were GOING to put into your 582 and buy a nice 3 point hitch and implements and ag tires and wheel weights...YOU'LL HAVE MORE FUN...and ENJOY usin' your Cub Cadet! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Cub Cadet”