This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Duck Help Needed

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Duck Help Needed

Postby JBall8019 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:28 pm

Hi Guys,
I need some advice for the care of my three ducks ( DuckDuck, Daisy and Goose) this winter. They dont have shelter at this moment and I want to build a lean-to for them. They are stubborn ducks that dont like going in my barn because they dont like to leave the pond. Can big fat white ducks survive the winter without shelter? I would have eaten them by now but my Honey wont let me because they are pets now.
John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:56 pm

I know what you mean. We got it solved with a letter from the board of health threatening a summons. Staten Island is part of NY City. Bev went over to her girl friends while I did what had to be done on a dozen. One they were in as package they were meat, or soup.
They used to spend the winter out or in an old rabbit cage with one end open.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:03 pm

John, I have been told that one could build a floating pallet on the pond that the ducks would use. This would keep them from danger by predators. When the pond froze over is another story. Larry

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:18 pm

John,

The three little ducks will be just fine on the pond in freezing, cold weather. They are well equipped to handle the cold weather...they adore it :!: :shock: Just make sure you have plenty of food for them to eat and water to drink (don't let the pond freeze over). 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:22 pm

Cub-Bud, How long does it take for your pond to freeze over in the winter so you can walk on it? 8) Larry

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:42 pm

I don't have a pond. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:07 pm

Touche, touche! 8) Larry

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:44 pm

Use heater tape to keep the water from freezing. We had our ducks over the winter as well as other fowl -- as long as the water was liquid they were ok.. shelter is at their discretion.

When it gets cold enough, they will go in the barn if there is access. A small sheltered lean-too with 3 sides enclosed and the entrance in the lee of the wind should be good. If they have a entrance into the barn that is somewhat sheltered and say they will go in when needed.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:37 am

Cub-Bud wrote:I don't have a pond. 8)

Or a winter.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:34 am

Don't be mistaken.........cattle farmers here in Mississippi, at times, have to break ice on the ponds so the cows can drink. :roll: :wink:

Greg Norman

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:57 am

uncles solution for wayward ducks was to build small shelters....like doghouse-sized townhouses, that had electric lights.....the ducks would eventually check out the lit houses, out of curiosity, and usually settle in....some never did, though...especially muscovy's.

put lots of straw in the houses, and build the roof on hinges, so you can collect eggs....I personally love duck eggs, but it's an acquired taste, I'm told. then you can put a heated waterer in there for them, and they'll be fine if the pond does freeze over. As soon as the ice breaks in spring, though, they'll move back to the pond.

pekin ducks, however, do come from northern china; a climate just as harsh, if not worse than our own.

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:06 am

Guys,
thanks for the help. i just ran my wiring for the barn this weekend and will have power in a few days. my barn hasnt had power in the last 4 years that i have owned it and i am very excited. i cant wait to build the lean to and get some type of heating out for my ducks. my pond does freeze over enough and one cold winter i was able to drive over it with my cub. that winter i drilled holes in some old mowing blades and fastened blocks of old fabric to them. i then set my mower deck lowest it could go and then smoothed the ice. ( i saw this thrick in wisconsin and south dakota ice fishing) it worked very well as a makeshift zamboni. the only real problem i had is i couldnt find my damned skates!!!!!!
john

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:47 pm

I raise wildwaterfowl , Swans, Trumpeters,Mutes, as well as wooducks,Wigeon Etc. I started with pekins 30 years ago. The problem with them is not the cold, as much as water supply , wind, and protection from predators (OWLS ,Coyotes. Night time is the worst) . When the sticky cold comes. Make sure you keep the water to a minimum , I usually give enough water for a good watering and bath, Put some lettuce in, that will keep them satisfied until the next watering , to much waters ,they will come out of the water and get stuck to the ice. If they get stuck ,don't pull them off , just get some warm water and pour it around them to free the feathers.
Feather quality will keep them warm,( need daily baths so they can oil up.)Keep the area as dry as possible.
as far as a pen 10' by 10' is plenty for winter for 3 ducks.
Good luck.
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:07 pm

Hey Phil would a light bulb underneath a ceramic dish be ok for the water? Also did your swans fly?
john

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:29 pm

John
My adults do not ,however the young Trumpeters do . Have wing clipped them for the winter. Kind of a bear to catch up flying birds. Not sure what you mean by the bulb under the ceramic dish. you could get one of those water pail heaters for dogs. Large one, Water is the poblem they love it and splash it.
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”