This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fresh butter for supper!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Fresh butter for supper!

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:20 am

Found what to us is an unusual sort of wooden butter churn a few weeks ago whilst discovering a large IH plough (see another post).
The usual sort of old butter churn is a wooden barrel with an axe on the equator and the whole turns from end to end, shlosh-slosh-slosh.
This one the "barrel" in oak is stationery on legs
There is a central axe, pole to plole inside, with a set of paddles which turn in the milk, the paddles are organised so that they bring the liquid and the eventual butter towards the middle from each end.
Originaly hand wound, some kind soul has added a 1hp 3phase 380v electric motor and belt system.

Noëlle has for sometime had the idea to set up a butter making demonstration from cow to pat (butter that is not the somewhat browner cow-pat).
We had Noëlles old Diabolo cream separator (Swiss) with galvanised bowl separators etc, until last week a kind farmer donated his stainless diabolo. You will see this mentioned elsewhere in another post.
So it looks like we could be in business, one cub on the diabolo and the other on the churn, or how about a countershaft with just one Cub.
Has anyone got a spare alfa laval bucket milking setup by the way?
In writing that Jean Jacques in the village doesn't use his now , hmmm!!! :twisted:
Pat

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:23 am

Pat, Very interesting item. It reminds me of my younger days when we would travel south to the state of Kentucky to visit my mother's family. I can still remember my aunt churning butter on her front porch. She used the vertical churn which had a cross shaped paddle at the end of the handle, which she would slosh up and down. She didn't make patties, cow or otherwise :lol: , but would heap it in a bowl for the table. This was in the fifties and they didn't have running water, indoor toilet, and most likely no central air. :shock: But they were, and still are, great people and I enjoyed my visits very much. Sometime I may explain how my uncle first taught me to measure a pigs tail. :oops: Great pics, interesting story. Larry

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:00 am

ljw wrote: Sometime I may explain how my uncle first taught me to measure a pigs tail. :oops: Larry

Hey Larry, go on.... :lol: :lol:
Pat

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:11 pm

yeah larry, what does that mean? Pat, all you need is a big wooden vat and you could also make cheese. one of the things i miss about not living in europe anymore is the salted butter on fresh baked bread. bread in the us is alot softer.
John

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:27 pm

Only place in the whole USA I can get decent bread is in NYC of all places. Mos other places it is soft fluff. Fresh Semolina bread in an italian neighborhood still is still decent. Parts of Brooklyn, Staten island and little Italy in Manhattan. Every where else it is soft, fluff and too light.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:33 pm

Bill:

Then you must be wantin real bread... Klosterbrot :!: Monastery bread :!: :idea: 5lb loaf... sourdough rye :!: :!: :!: Now dat's bread :!:

Next to Em's home made, it is the best available :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:37 pm

Rudi you are right. I didn't mention German town in the 80's in Manhattan, they have good too.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”