This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ford 2N hydraulic problem

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Ford 2N hydraulic problem

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:11 pm

A friend just picked one up at an auction. Engine sounds great, but no movement in the hydraulics. He hasn't had a chance to buy any manuals, but wanted to know what to check other than fluid level. Any suggestions I can relay to him?
Thanks, Bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:14 pm

Make sure he has the pto engaged. As I recall, these required the pto to be in gear to drive the internal hydraulic pump.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:17 pm

I think that your right BigDog, at least that's how it is with the 9N's

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:32 pm

jostev wrote:I think that your right BigDog, at least that's how it is with the 9N's

They're both exactly alike ( I have one of each). A couple things to check if putting the PTO in gear doesn't solve the problem:

1. Remove the round cover on the right side to see where the most oil action is then the control lever is operated. If the pump is working it will be very obvious.

2. Make sure the fork hasn't come loose from the control valve. The valve is below the surface of the oil so it will have to be checked by Braille.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:58 pm

And I thought our old Farmall H was a pain in that it had to have the clutch out.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:58 pm

Thanks, I'll pass on the info, and I'll bet he didn't know the PTO needed to be engaged. Bob

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:25 pm

One other thing that can cause loss of hydro. A blown gasket in the pump. Had a 2N with that problem.
John, H's weren't nearly as bad as old Fords in the hydraulic arena. Yes you needed the clutch out but at least the PTO wasn't part of the mix also. I've used a digger behind both and the Ford is one real pain in the a----. Especially since most old Ford's leaked down quite fast and the only way to keep the auger in the air was leave it spinning also. And an old Ford isn't easy to make live either but an H or M can be done easy and pretty cheap.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:01 pm

If it has a Sherman tranny, it would have to be in gear, also. On my 9N I bent the control lever attached to the hydraulic punp. I was able to straighten it and the problem was solved. Larry

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:42 am

WKPoor wrote:I've used a digger behind both and the Ford is one real pain in the a----. Especially since most old Ford's leaked down quite fast and the only way to keep the auger in the air was leave it spinning also.

Ever have the auger screw itself into the ground? You can't get any lift without continuing to screw it in. You need to disengage it and put a wrench on the power shaft to unscrew it by hand.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:32 am

[/quote]Ever have the auger screw itself into the ground? You can't get any lift without continuing to screw it in. You need to disengage it and put a wrench on the power shaft to unscrew it by hand.

Yes I have Jim, actually many times. Thats when you discover the true lift potential of the machine. Also I'm sure the Ford could not lift the auger out of the ground unless it was spinning as it needs to be. Send an auger down into some mucky clay and you could be in for trouble. The Ford struggled with an 18"-the H plays with a 25". I can send the 25" all the way down, turn off the PTO and then gently lift it out of the ground not splattering the dirt anywhere. I've got an auger stuck with a Ford many, many times. As of yet never with the Farmall. Many have told me my 2N and the H are basically the same size tractor. Apperently they never used them side beside.

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:57 pm

And an old Ford isn't easy to make live either but an H or M can be done easy and pretty cheap.

Really?? the M that is in my barn doesnt have a live pto, how is this done, and does it take alot of skill?

Would a decent running 8n be worth $1000? I see alot of them around where i live for sale.

John

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:32 pm

I was referring to live hydraulics. However converting to live PTO is possible for little more than the cost of a Ford NAA live hyd. pump. Pretty labor intensive though.

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:34 pm

If the hydraulic system is engaged properly, and the pump works(which it probably does) but doesn't develop any pressure, check that the dump valve is not stuck OPEN . You can sure save hours of farting around verifying this valve CLOSES when it is supposed to.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:19 am

JBall8019 wrote:
And an old Ford isn't easy to make live either but an H or M can be done easy and pretty cheap.

Really?? the M that is in my barn doesnt have a live pto, how is this done, and does it take alot of skill?

John
To coonvert an H or M to "live hydralics) you removed the left brake assembly and shaft and replaced it with an M&W or similar aftermarket unit that allowed you to release clutch which enabled the differential to freewill so you could stop traveling and keep the pto running. You could probably buy 2 H or M tractors for the price of one if you could find it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:27 am

Zane Sherman, who designed and sells an attachment to add position control to 9/2N's offers a kit to add live PTO to 9/2/8N's. If the live PTO works as well as the position control it's a great thing.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”