This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Conveyer Motor size...

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Conveyer Motor size...

Postby jostev » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:18 pm

I just got about a 10' conveyer was just wondering if anybody has any reccomendations of what type/power motor I sould try to finid for it, seeing that it doesn't have one
Thanks for any help, I can/will take pics of the underside tomorrow now that it's in my yard!! not 4 hours away...
Also, just in case, is there any place that would sell the rubber part itself? that the stuff sits on. or could this just be taken to the local "belt" shop?

Thanks again, Johnny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:29 pm

use a cub power unit
Image On To Bigger Things

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:37 pm

LOL no quite, probably like a little 1hp motor? like a lathe motor?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:30 pm

I think I would probably use a minimum 1-1/2 to 2 hp electric motor. A 1 hp probably would suffice though, I just don't like to go with minimums... a little overkill prevents a lot of wear and tear of which there is a lot of wear and tear on them from the weight of stuff on the conveyor.

I would probably use a used electric motor from say a cabinet saw or a 8" jhointer or something like that.

Here is a thought -- check with your local baker -- Dad used to work for Lane's which is now Ben's which is part of Canada Bread -- we have a couple of 10/15 and 20 foot lengths that we are going to use to move my firewood into the basement. I plan on using a 1-1/2 hp from my old table saw.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:39 pm

What are you planning on using it for and how steep will it be set? I'm thinking more like 1/2 or 3/4 horse is enough, like an old washing machine motor. Or are you trying for the land speed record for fire wood? :)

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm

Rudi, have you been gone? just wondering, I haven't seen any posts by you lately?

Thanks for the ideas, will try the table saw thing, but we don't have any local bakery's around here :cry: but we do have an extra table saw, and could check at the local landfill's for some!

Thanks again, Johnny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:25 pm

My guess is either 1/2 or 3/4 HP electric motor.

If there is a motor, generator, alternator, starter repair shop in your area. Go in and ask for a repaired motor that someone did not return to pick up.

Ask your friends, neighbors, people at work. Someone will have one sitting under a bench. I have a couple waiting for a good use.

Eugene

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:27 pm

sorry Jim, you and I must have posted at the same time LOL and no, I just kinda want it to go faster than carrying it!

Eugene, I will keep my eye out for some, espicially at the local landfill, they usually have a lot of good used things!

Thanks again for the suggestions, will update when I get something... too many projects right now :oops:

Johnny

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:54 pm

Jim:

Nope not trying to set any speed records.. more durability issues.. especially when dealing with used motors.. and a 1 hp doesn't turn it any faster, just has better torque properties.. certainly won't bog down when you have 8 or 10 chunks of 8 in maple 16 to 20 inches in length on it.......

Like I said, I kind a like over kill. :!: :lol: .. puts in the just in case factor... plus, we have already been down the used washing machine motor road... just not rugged enough..... be like using an old blower motor to power a cement mixer.. not all that great.. will work, but not for long... been there done that tooooo :roll: :roll: :oops: :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Also, the conveyor belt that I have is a commercial one and it is well to be kind of basic -- it is overengineered. This puppy is sturdy to put it lightly.

1/2 hp or eve an 3/4 hp just isn't going to cut the mustard.. and I really dislike burning up a good motor when it is underpowered for the job. Also, the conveyor belt itself is pretty heavy belt material.. steel rods form the conveyor - much like what you would find on say a Massey-Harris Potato digger....

now, if your belt material is not too thick or heavy and your run is not too long... 1/2 might do... but all depends on what it is made of I guess...

I am used to the heavier stuff...

Oh and yup,...kinda been busy.. will post a few pics of what I have been up to for the last week or so, soon...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:29 pm

Rudi, I can't wait to see what you've been doing!! It's probably a top notch job what ever it was/is!!

Johnny

Russell F
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38370

Postby Russell F » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:33 pm

Depending on speed, if you gear it low using pullys 1/2hp or less could work. 3/4 horse would be ideal and would allow you a little flexability with speed(different size pullys). A 1HP or larger would allow you to gear less and run much faster. We have several conveyors of that style at work with 1/8-1hp motors, but anything under 1/2 usually is geared real low with a gear box then again with a chain drive. Usually the slower the conveyor moves the smaller the motor needed. But 3/4-1hp would be a good place to start, and motors of that size are readily available for cheap used.

If you remeber pie and all those fun formulas you can figures what size pulleys you need for the FPM you are after on your belt. If you don't want to do the math, there are cheat sheets on the net that will do that math for you.

You can also drive it with chain, which is much easier to figure, just divide the driven sprocket tooth count by the drive sprocket tooth count to get your ratio. But you will still need to figure cir. of the drive roller to figure FPM.

Or you can just expierment with differnt size sprockets or pulleys..

Russell

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:38 pm

Thanks Russell, I will try this when I find one, shouldn't be all that long...

Thanks again, Johnny

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:16 am

Russell F wrote:Depending on speed, if you gear it low using pullys 1/2hp or less could work. 3/4 horse would be ideal and would allow you a little flexability with speed(different size pullys). A 1HP or larger would allow you to gear less and run much faster. We have several conveyors of that style at work with 1/8-1hp motors, but anything under 1/2 usually is geared real low with a gear box then again with a chain drive. Usually the slower the conveyor moves the smaller the motor needed. But 3/4-1hp would be a good place to start, and motors of that size are readily available for cheap used.

If you remeber pie and all those fun formulas you can figures what size pulleys you need for the FPM you are after on your belt. If you don't want to do the math, there are cheat sheets on the net that will do that math for you.

You can also drive it with chain, which is much easier to figure, just divide the driven sprocket tooth count by the drive sprocket tooth count to get your ratio. But you will still need to figure cir. of the drive roller to figure FPM.

Or you can just expierment with differnt size sprockets or pulleys..

Russell

precisely russell,

I have an electric winch that some madman other than me made. It is powered by a 1/8 hp motor the felt-packed bearing kind), and yet, when I had to get a 1000lb cast iron stove up a flight of stairs once, I simply laid down some 2X12's to make a ramp, and let the winch pull it up the inclined plane. There are 4 shafts mounted in bearings with a host of pulleys attached to them. The working end of this device is an old hand winch spool and about 20 yds of cable. It moves about 1 ft per minute, but it works.

I suspect that if you geared down a thing properly, you could move virtually any load with virtually any motor. When using belts and pulleys, though, it is best to do it in steps, so as not to overload the strength of a particular belt, or cause them to slip, hence the 4 shafts on my mad winch.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”