This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

out of the shadows

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

out of the shadows

Postby phantom » Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:05 am

ladies and gentlemen, about four years ago i swapped my favorite outboard motor for a 49 cub that had been sitting for several years. i changed all fluids, cleaned the gas tank, put in new plugs, new wires, cleaned and lubricated the starter, and greased all the fittings i could find. oh, joy it started and ran well enough to do the mowing with the 42 inch woods. it also came with the universal mount (except one part) and the rear rockshaft (except 2 parts), and a set of cultivators. THEN i discovered this bord and read the faq, and oiled the fan hub. since that time i have been sitting quietly over in the corner reading every post and reply drawing from the wealth of knowledge. i would like to thank dennis for providing the site and all of the experts for answering questions from the newbies. thanks to the newbies for asking the questions that give me the clues of problems to watch for. when the board format changed i found it difficult to read (i'm a few years older than my cub). i understand that the color changes will make the board easier to see, but i had to register to try to figger out how to do that. since i had to come out of the shadows to register i may as well catch up on these years of non-posting. i can only offer one suggettion to improve the board. i would like to have a place to swap, not sell, some of my junque for parts missing from my cub. provided dennis has a place to put it i will start the swap pile with these items...a 46 ford parts truck (no title but mostly all there), a restoreable 52 ford truck (less engine), various small iron briggs and stratton engines, an old cider press similar to the one country elliot has, tri-bander ham radio antenna and tower (down and disassembled), misc other ham radio gear. i realize this is probably one of the longest posts ever on the board, but i have not cluttered up the board for all these years and need to get caught up so maybe some day i may be able to get another cub and a big red "s" next to my name. thank you all for your indulgence. now i'll go back over into the corner, sit down, and shut up, and try to get rid of this yellow screen.
phantom

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:57 am

Welcome Phantom and glad you finally spoke up! Don't be bashful here, when you want to know something all you have to do is ask. I also thank Dennis for all the work he has done and the new board will be great, we just have to get used to it is all. I think it would be a great idea if Dennis would add a feature for Cub parts wanted, for sale or trade, non comercial of course.
Michael Az

Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave F. » Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:02 pm

Phantom, I may be interested in your cider press. Dave F. (DaveF_54@yahoo.com)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:08 pm

Michael Az wrote:Welcome Phantom and glad you finally spoke up! Don't be bashful here, when you want to know something all you have to do is ask. I also thank Dennis for all the work he has done and the new board will be great, we just have to get used to it is all. I think it would be a great idea if Dennis would add a feature for Cub parts wanted, for sale or trade, non comercial of course.
Michael Az

Yes, indeed, I agree with Michael, Phantom. Don't be a stranger and don't be afraid to speak up.

Your idea of the new feature sounds good...non-commercial, of course. Now that Dennis has more time, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it added.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:11 am

Michael Az wrote:Welcome Phantom and glad you finally spoke up! Don't be bashful here, when you want to know something all you have to do is ask. I also thank Dennis for all the work he has done and the new board will be great, we just have to get used to it is all. I think it would be a great idea if Dennis would add a feature for Cub parts wanted, for sale or trade, non comercial of course.
Michael Az
michael,thank you for the welcome.i don't have a bashful bone in my body. i have learned the hard way that if you want to learn something keep your mouth shut and your ears open, or in this case eyes. i read the message board on the edge of my seat waiting for someone to screw up so i can jump in and set things straight. with few exceptions, to the best of my knowledge,the advice given has been correct. well, there was that post about the coat hanger across the battery...by the time i read that one three others had already blown the battery up. actually my lil cub runs quite well and have only used the mower. been pulling wrenches for my entire life. usually for fun. thanks again for the welcome
phantom

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:46 am

Dave F. wrote:Phantom, I may be interested in your cider press. Dave F. (DaveF_54@yahoo.com)
hello dave, the old cider press is in dire need of reconditioning. the metal parts seem to be in good shape, but all the wooden parts should be replaced, in my opinion, before being used for food products. it came with the farm house and i have never used it. i checked your profile for your location, but i see you have applied a liberal coating of bigdog repellant. i am directly west of leadfoot (wonder how he is doing) near the intersection of u.s.36 and u.s. 27 in indiana. the press is quite heavy and transportation could pose a problem if you are not nearby. check your junque pile over and see if you have a good swap for it. i am particully interested in locating the following parts...the 4 bearing halves of the rear rockshaft part nos. 514 548 r1 and 514 549 r1, one push pipe for the universal mount. the one i have is not as pictured in the 144 cultivator manual as posted by rudi (thank you more than words can express rudi). mine is a solid piece, but i see no reason i could not use one like in the picture on page 5. i also need the hood-grill mount for the left side. i think i've seen them described as dog ears. appearance is not important as i will probably never restore the tractor. how about a swinging drawbar. of course if you have a snow plow or dirt scoop i am interested in those and im sure someplace around here i have something else i could throw in on the deal. now you know why i dont usually post...i can go on. thanks for the reply
phantom

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:43 am

George Willer wrote:
Michael Az

Yes, indeed, I agree with Michael, Phantom. Don't be a stranger and don't be afraid to speak up.

Your idea of the new feature sounds good...non-commercial, of course. Now that Dennis has more time, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it added.
greetings Mr. Willer, you are one of the people i would like to meet in person. i was very tempted to do just that last year when you mentioned you would be at the portland show. unfortunatly, i have a severe allergy to all fragrances chemical and avoid groups of people. seems more would rather smell like a new joisee chemical plant than a homo sapien. it has made for a life of over the road trucking and a life of solitude with the best wife in the world. on the down side i have never managed to learn "people skills". speaking of portland, you may know someone who would be interested in a piece of my junque. it is a "bolens huski" walking tractor that was left to me by one of my few friends be fore he went over the rainbow with dorthy and toto. it is in its original paint and decals are still visable. i dont know much about it but seems to be complete with the exception of the carb for the briggs model br6 engine. i dont know its vintage, but have seen a 1947 advertisement for one that looked just like it. also one of the spreaders that holds two shafts apart is broken, but should not be beyond repair. if you know anyone who would be interested in it let them know. it deserves a good home. thank you very much for all the knowledge you have shared on the board.
phantom

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:46 am

" i am directly west of leadfoot (wonder how he is doing) near the intersection of u.s.36 and u.s. 27 in indiana."

Hey!!! That's familiar territory, just down the road from the Big Tri-State Tractor and Engine show at Portland, IN. We usually spend nearly a week there. We're looking forward to this years annual ritual which will be our 28th time there. Ask Bigdog about the fun we had.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”