This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH Excavators

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

IH Excavators

Postby jostev » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:32 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of any IH excvators, there is one for sale, and I was just wondering if IH actually made them? I'm trying to convince my Dad to get it, but no luck so far :cry:

Thanks for any help, Johnny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Steve Butram » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:12 am

Johnny go over to the Red Power site and look at the crawler and excavator forum.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:19 pm

Thanks, I'm looking through there right now. Thanks again.

I went over there today and took some pics of it, http://photobucket.com/albums/c47/joste ... Excavator/
they're pretty big so I just put the link in.

I'm gonna try to work on my Dad real hard to get it, I have almost 25,00 for a college fund, so.... I can make a bit with a job :lol:

Johnny

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:30 pm

Johnny
you might want to approach an Insurance agent before you get real serious the liability may be more than the profit. 1 gas line or a fiber optic cable and your college fund will be gone. My sugestion would be if your intersted in operating heavy equipment is contact an excavation contractor in your area and see if they need any summer help. Some of the best operators started on the shovel.

Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:01 pm

my Dad has worked for the state for 25 years or more, so he knows about the laws etc, and I'm still too young to work for anybody :cry: but I wouldn't be using it for a couple of years or more, comercially anyways. I already know how to run one, I ran a mini excavator for about 10 straight, and I was better than my dad...

Johnny

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:06 pm

Johnny, state employees aren't hled to the smae standards private operators are. More than one digger has gone out ogf business form hitting a gas or fiber optinc line.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Johnny watch it lad. Down time on old equipment can be a financial killer. Only difference between old boats and old equipmet is a boat is a whole in the water into which you throw money. Equipment ain't in the water but you still throw money.
That said the RICHEST guy I know started with an old Cletrac and an old farm truck to move it.
You have to have the hunger to make it work. That is hunger to the extent that you can taste it. You also need to be in the right time and the right place. I has to be an all consuming desire such that nothing else will block your vision of it. You have to have the what ever 6th sense to smell out the bad pays and get them in such a position you get paid before they do. You need a slick lawyer with a financial interest in your success and you need an even better accountant to get you through the financial quagmire. Then you need a guard dog meaner than a junk yard dog so that what you left on the job, in you yard is still there in the morning.
If you have a brother or cousin with the same vision it can be a helpful start. Plan on eventually making it 2 seperate businesses.
Last of all remember to keep your friends close and enemeys even closer.
The bit about some of the big guys started with the shovel has great wisdom. You have to learn about people, see the different types.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:43 pm

If you are interested. Linn State Technical College, Linn, Missouri 65051 offers a two year course in heavy equipment operation. There may be other junior colleges that offer similiar courses.

As far as purchasing equipment. Don't unless you can justify the purchase based on immediate and continued use.

Eugene

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:25 am

I have found the most important thing to doing a good job is being able visualise (imagine) what the job will look like when its done and work to make it that way. If you are loading trucks how are they going to get to you :?: where are you going to put your spoils :!: are you going to have to get back over it to spread sand etc. Making sure you don't back yourself into a corner or some where that you cannot reach to finish the job. Keep in mind what you are going to do if you hit water or worse wet sands. You are responsible for benching and have to know the soil conditions as different soils need different benching. Paying attension to the clearence of overhead electric lines. Having underground utilitys marked. And know your machine so you can feel it if you hit somthing un marked or that shouldent be there. And if you think you hit somthing taking the time to hand dig (if safe to do so).

Checking you machine to maksure it is safe to run. There were cracks on a 225 cat I was running this year I knew it and the mechinic knew it and I was told to run it. Well one on the ears on the base of the boom broke. The three inch hardened steel pin broke and the boom fell out and laid up aginst the cab. Luclily my laberour was out of the trench taking a smoke break and no one got hurt.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:42 am

Yeah that is when it gets tough. Run it or your out of work and black listed. Then some body gets hurt and it is your fault.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:03 pm

Eugene, there is a cool an hour away that has classes in heavy equipement operating, but it's too far away to go there everyday, right now.I hear what everybody is saying, that's why we're not starting it right now, and won't untill I get out of High School at least, and I know that I could use it at a local farm, to help him do some stuff, and most likely we would just work it easy at our house untill it's time to start a buisness.
Cowboy, I know about that corner thing, I was digging fine, and my dad told me to start somewhere else, I said no, and he told me to, so.... next thing we know, there is a frozen part that I can't reach, so we have to hire someone else. (partly because of his heart attack)

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:08 pm

Actually Bill that company is very good about maitance They keep a full time machinac on the jobsite. If I had made a fuss they would have gotten it fixed. But it was a old machine they kept for back up it did not look that bad and I have never seen one brake like that. It came in for one simple job. But we got a additional job to do on that site and it broke when I was trying to brake through a foot ot frost in a roadway digging a pipeline.

Joestev some times you can get back on a trench by tracking 90 dregrees over it if the soil conditions permit. You can put the bucket down over it and track across it while pulling the stick in to keep the front of the tracks up. Or you may be able in a excavation to cut a quick ramp in if you have enought room to get into it and and swing and bail it up and out. One good quick exersize to do to get fast and smooth is to bail water up and out of a pond. getting the bucket full lifting swinging and moving the stick is quite the experance.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:59 pm

Always good to her from an expert.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:42 pm

I drove a little Bobcat Mini Excavator, and a couple of guys from a local small company were suprised at how fast, and how much I had dug up in about 10 hours, when I first got in it, I was really good at it.

As for the ditch crossing etc, I did that alot when digging up our septic, use the boom to rotate undercarrage, and boom to lift up tracks and use blade to level out etc... I really would love to do that again, in the neighbors swamp that needs to "mantained" into a stream again... but I almost know that I will burry it, and don't want that :lol:

I still have hope for it yet :!:

Johnny

Russell F
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38370

Postby Russell F » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:05 pm

Johnny, don't be so quick to dig into your college fund, even if it is for a big toy. College is the best investemnt you will ever make, especialy in todays environment. When layoffs came around a few years ago, that piece of paper saved my job, in most factories around here if you don't have a mininum of 1 year tech school you can forget about a job in my field, even with expierience. I admit i learned alot more by on the job expierience than i did school, but I wouldn't be where i am now with all the toys i got without my eddycation. All i have is a associates, but that is starting to become the norm even for bluecollar labor.

And i second, third and fourth what everybody has said. Very few contractors started out from strach on their own. Most worked for someone else for 10-15 years before they got their own start... And you need to be insured out the wazooo.. I almost went into the floating-dock buiz after college, did it on the side for several months and made good but when i looked into going legal and getting insured, and what it would cost if one of my docks failed...I quit answering my phone and quit it... anytime you work in the public...it can get expensive in a hurry...

And as i said, don't be too hasty with that college fund, you may think me a fool now....and may so later...but trust me...you'll be glad for it someday.

Russell

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”