This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Current Agricultural Use Value Assessment in Ohio

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Current Agricultural Use Value Assessment in Ohio

Postby JBall8019 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:29 pm

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone on this forum use this program (CAUV) that owns less than 10ac of land.? My neighbors told me that they use this program to get thier taxes down a bit. In my county, I may be eligible even though i have 8ac. instead of the 10ac. min required, me neighbors have 40 or more. Any advice would be appriciated!
John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:09 pm

I'm on it. Heres the fish hooks. If you have less than 10ac. on the program you have to show an income from the farm that is pretty high to qualify. Unless it would be a horse farm I wouldn't believe anyone could qualify because I think its like $25,000.00 a year. I'm just over the limit at 13ac. so they don't question farm income. Next don't think your going to save very much especially if you have a newer home on that property. After I went on it I thought they made a mistake as I couldn't see a savings. Since my new house sits on the same parcel they tax the hell out of it and any land savings isn't enough to spit at. The only way you can make out on that program is to be living in an old rikkity farm house. I know someone who pays less property tax on 150ac than I do on 13ac because he lives in a 100 yr old farm house. Its rigged I tell you. Last if you ever sell you will owe something like 5-7yrs back taxes to catch up on the reduction. For someone moving to the country its a fars. Now that I'm on it I've got to stay there forever unless I feel like paying back taxes. I would have them show you up front if and how much you stand to really save. Just a heads up!

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:32 pm

hey bill,
thaks for your input. i do have a rickety old farmhouse! Someone sent me an email for trumbull countys requiremnts. the site didnt mention anything about repaying back taxes if i sold the house! It did say i needed to gross $2500. I think i will call over to the auditor tommorow and ask more questions. I will definetly ask about repayment of back taxes. Thanks again bill
John

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:47 pm

I use CAUV to help with the taxes. It does add up. In my case they deducted 1 acre from the 67 total for the homesite and tax that accordingly. The remainder must either be over a certain threshold size or produce $2500 income to be elgible. I think the recoupment period is 3 years... the time the back taxes would be raised if the land use is changed.

Since each county auditor has a little leeway in his appraisal there may be small differences between counties.

Our acreage is appraised pretty high since it is some of the most productive in the county, but it would be appraised much higher as development land. We expect 200 Bu/acre corn in an average year.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:44 pm

Sorry guys- I think I added some extra zeros to my figure. $2500 is probably correct. Either way unless someone is using the ground for something other than grain crops he probably won't have that much in income therefore making it difficult to get on the program.

mr67gp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mr67gp » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:27 pm

We have something similar in PA, called "Act 319" or "clean and green". If you have less than 10 acres (I have 9.4) you have to show $2500 a year in income from the property to get into the program. The tax reduction is actually a deferment, not a rebate. However, the program is tranferable when you sell as long as the new owner applies and meets the same criteria. If you do not maintain the program, you are then liable for accrued back taxes for up to 7 years, or more.

I have an old farmhouse (c.1815) so I could make out well, if I had the extra acre I need!
Jim K in PA
Pocono Mountains, PA
1956 International Cub Loboy
1973 International Loadstar S/A dump
1990 John Deere 955

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”