This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

After all these years, I'm finally trying the cure

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

After all these years, I'm finally trying the cure

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:20 pm

Is it my imagination, or are supermarkets serving up lousier meats? After picking thru the dismal selection of corned beef at various stores, I decided to cure my own.

I found a nice eye roast then scoured through a multitude of curing and pickling methods from the internet plus some suggested recipes. Way too many! So I picked one that seemed fairly commom and used ingredients on hand. It went into the pickling process on 19 January and came out on 3 February. Boy, does it smell good!

The corned beef went into the cookpot this evening for Superbowl Sunday dinner. My siblings and their spouses are the guinea pigs. If we don't get sick and die, the recipe will be posted.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:50 am

Our neighbor has always done his own corned beef and I like it much better then the store bought. Some people are turned off by the color difference though.

Chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:54 am

You can retain the bright red color of fresh meat by adding saltpeter, the same stuff supposedly added to boarding school fare to suppress specific natural "urges" of youth. Since we're not so young anymore, no saltpeter went into my cure.

Taste tested the beef a few minutes ago. Yummy and tender. No ill effects as of yet.
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:57 am

You wanna e-mail some of that over my way?????? :) :) :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:35 am

Lurker Carl wrote:You can retain the bright red color of fresh meat by adding saltpeter, the same stuff supposedly added to boarding school fare to suppress specific natural "urges" of youth. Since we're not so young anymore, no saltpeter went into my cure.

Taste tested the beef a few minutes ago. Yummy and tender. No ill effects as of yet.

Saltpeter is potassium nitrate, it's also used in making gunpowder. It's used in cooking as a preservative.
Since you didn't include it in your recipe send some of the beef over this way :lol:
8)

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:44 am

Guys, I tried emailing a smidgeon. Didn't work. But, the neighbor's cat is staring at me thru the window and there is another squirrel on the roof. Might be serving some extra meats tonight.
- Louis Pasteur

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:31 pm

Well now. We're as full as ticks, corned beef with carrots and parsnips and cabbage and 3 bean salad and ice cream and brownies. They're all coming back tomorrow for round 2. No complaints. No ambulance. I'll post the procedure when I decipher my notes as to exactly what I did.
- Louis Pasteur

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:51 am

You know the way to a man's stomach. :lol: sounds gooood.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”