This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I Was Warned

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

I Was Warned

Postby WKPoor » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:55 pm

Well I'm still learning about what to do with the next coup. Went out today to feed the chickens and found one dead. Something dug under the fence last night. Wasn't very large critter but lethal none the less. I've electric fence around also. I was told eventurly something would dig under. Now I know the fence needs to be buried or on a concrete barier. You just can'y over fortify chickens!!! :cry:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:09 pm

My daughter had the same problem with her chickens. The killer dug under the fence, killed the chicken and then drug it under the hen house. It did not consume any of the bird. My theory is that it was a weasel or a mink.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:24 pm

Bill. It's darn near impossible to keep from losing chickens to a prediter. But, there are ways to make it more difficult for them. I've had fairly good success with the fence by bending the bottom add-on portion out about 1 1/2 ft and just slightly burying it with dirt & rocks. Critters dig into the fence. I also close the coop entrance (it's a swing down ramp) at night when they are most vulnerable and the varmits are most active. Weasels, coons and rats will easily get by the fence, so a good tight coop will help out. Also helps keep out the possums and skunks. They love chickens ..........
Ron

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:28 pm

Don McCombs wrote: My theory is that it was a weasel or a mink.

Don. Weasels/mink are known for that. Sometimes they kill a few and just let them lay. At least coons will eat them.
Ron

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:10 pm

I have a 38 ft dia aviary for wild waterfowl. we live in a 10 acre woods. I did as one of the members suggested to you . I buried 4 ft chicken wire about a foot into the ground and had the rest up from there. I put a hot wire all the way around it. Havent had a problem . I did have a flock of ringneck pheasants that a family of mink got into , they killed everything in the pen ate a couple then came back once, after that. Due to the good shooting of my oldest son 3 of the four never made it out.
PWL
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:56 pm

Our friend has a similar problem with sheep, the coyotes will go under 2+/- feet of water, just to get to sheep. I hope you get your problem fixed, or just higher somebody to come over for target practice :lol: :lol: :lol:

Johnny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”