This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How To Apply Decals To Your Cub

Tips and tricks on repairs to your Cub’s structure.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

How To Apply Decals To Your Cub

Postby George Willer » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:37 pm

I don't recall anyone posting a how-to on this subject, so here goes, using a method that works well for me.

Here's a decal that is held in place by a "hinge" of masking tape. All outside material has been separated from the graphic using straight edges and a SHARP X-acto knife. The masking tape holds the cut-away parts in place so the decal as a whole can be placed exactly where I want it.
decalstart.jpg

The backer has been removed from the IH logo and it was put in place. The outside has been removed for clarity.
decal02.jpg

Here's the main part ready to have the backer removed.
decal03.jpg

The backer is still there, but part of the outside has been removed.
decal04.jpg

Done! :D Barney doesn't look nearly as nekkid now!
decaldone.jpg

IMHO, the tape helps to get the decal exactly where I want it, and helps me forge ahead confidently. This method eliminates any need to slide the decal around.

Rudi, you may use it on your site if you like.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:09 pm

Hey George, is that an actual decal that has to be dipped in water first or is it a sticker? I should be doing decals when the warm weather gets here and will try your method.

Thanks Jack

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:45 pm

Jackman wrote:Hey George, is that an actual decal that has to be dipped in water first or is it a sticker? I should be doing decals when the warm weather gets here and will try your method.

Thanks Jack

Jack,

As far as I've been able to learn, there is NO source for the original type water transfers. I investigated getting some made locally by a company that specializes in water transfers. They quoted me $200 per set after the graphics design work was paid for on an hourly basis. NOPE!

So I guess you could call them "stickers". My method wouldn't work with water transfers. I've used a few water transfers for piano and organ fallboards and Edison cabinet restorations. There's a huge variety of water transfers available for that hobby. I wonder who makes them?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:59 pm

George,

Glad to hear that they are stickers as opposed to the decals, at 200 a set I also would pass on an decal set. I have seen the sticker sets at TSC I think they are 29 or 39 for a Cub set that includes all the little stickers as well, I plan to buy an extra set and stick one on the back window of my pick up truck 8) ....

Jack

meandmydeere
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49345
Tractors Owned: 1937 John Deere "B"
1941 John Deere "LA"
1947 John Deere "D"
1952 John Deere "B"
1949 John Deere "A"
(2) 1970 John Deere "70" L/G
1971 Case 442 L/G
1953 Farmall Cub
1962 Farmall Cub Lo Boy
w/Wagner loader
assortment of plows. disk,harvestors.

Postby meandmydeere » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:37 pm

The hinge method is what I have been using for a few years now. That gives you a good look at placement. If you squirt the surface with window cleaner so you can slide the decals around, in time the paint will be streaked because many window cleaners use ammonia in them.
Gearge, do you remove the face 1st thing? In your description it sounds like that is what you do. I place 3 or more small pieces of low tack, (blue) masking tape, get my placement adjusted, pull the decal away from the surface, remove the backer. Then I squeegee any small bubbles out. Then I remove the face paper. I also may wet the surface with plain water in a cookie sheet with one drop of dishwashing detergent just to help get the air bubbles out from under the decal. I also wrap my squeegee in a paper towel so as I wipe the decal, I remove any water..
Maybe a decal forum at Cub Fest this year?
Mark
My wife say's I never listen to her, or something like that.
Amateur Extra class radio call sign AB8MS

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:20 am

Hey George...Your's is the BEST How To Decal a Cub ever posted on the site. NOW...EVERYONE can do it the "Willer Way" ! :wink: THANKS !!!
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:20 pm

George:

Excellent idea and application!

This is where this topic actually belongs so I hope you don't mind me moving it here.

I have also saved the article and shall upload it to your list of How To's on the server.

Thanks again, and I am always looking forward to your articles...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:47 pm

To All :
I always use the idea that George said to do to help keep everything in line. I use a spray bottle with a smidge of dishwashing soap with water. That way you can move around. I have used this for years on fire trucks and police cars. Have never had one come off. The other sprays will eat away at the backing.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Additional tips for applying decals

Postby drspiff » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:42 am

Howdy! Thanks for putting together this Forum entry on applying sticky decals. Something that I have found of value is to keep a heat gun or hair dryer on hand when applying these sticky decals. If the surface has any bumps, divots, or has a compound curve, the decal may not be flexible enough to conform to the surface.

A spot application of heat softens the vinyl and you can then push and prod the decal to get it to conform. This also makes the glue a little stickier, so the chances of getting the decal to stick improve.

Another technique to make the glue work for you is to use Naptha. Naptha is a non-aggressive solvent for most of the adhesives found on sticky back decals as well as rubber cement. But it does not attack anything else.

I use a hypodermic syringe and needle from the Feed Store and fill it with Naptha (Lighter Fluid). If I find a bubble that spot heating will not fix, I inject a "billionth of a drop" of the naptha below the decal surface. This softens the glue and I can then push and poke the decal into place. The naptha evaporates in 15 to 20 minutes, leaving only the glue behind.

The graphic artists use a burnisher to smooth items they are gluing down. Whenever you burnish something, like a decal, make sure that your burnisher is softer than what you are burnishing. For instance, to rub out a dimple in the aluminum serial number plate, a popsicle stick works fine. What does this have to do with decals? The vinyl is very soft, so you want a burnisher that is even softer. Go to the fabric store and get a 1/4 of a yard of velvet of plush. Something that is very soft and very fine. Wrap this around a smooth edged burnishing stick. Now when you rub down the decals, you will press the vinyl down and not score the surface.

When you do burnish the decal, pay special attention to the edges. It is important that the decal is rubbed down, but more important that the edges be tightly sealed. If an edge is left a little "proud', dirt and water will accumulate, and eventually your high dollar decals will start to curl and peel off.

Just some thoughts,
Rick (I used to do this for a living) Dulas

Return to “Frame/Sheet Metal”