This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oh boy, here I go again - Super A this time...

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Oh boy, here I go again - Super A this time...

Postby allenlook » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:08 am

Well, for better or worse I bought a Super A yesterday and towed it home.

I am a total noob when it comes to the Super A so it will be a learning experience for me, if you're all up for it :D Compared to the Cub it is a big tractor!

It seems to be in average shape, the tin is there and while it's not perfect it's not horrible either. No cancer except the battery box, which is missing the lid and rusted on the sides. No cracks I could find anywhere - although there is a bead of weld on the front axle which looks like it was being used to keep the inner adjustable tube from pivoting (and the bead is now broken anyway.) Also the loader mount is welded on the left side of the tractor at the implement mount, that could be trouble!

Brand new tires in the rear, and needs new ones in the front.

My biggest concern is running condition - it starts hard and smokes like an emphysema patient, and won't shut off with the switch, so I must need a different kind of switch - converted to 12V and it has a distributor. What kind of trouble did I get myself in?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:36 am

allen,
if it smokes and doesnt shut off that easily you may have a short somewhere and probably fried the points a little. i looked at buying a super a at one time but it was way more expensive than the m i just got.
oh yeah congrats, how many more tractors do you have room for!?! lol
john

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:40 am

I think you got yourself in for a good time. I have the one my Dad bought new in 1950. It's been put through the hard knock mill up to 1994. Thats when I started letting it rest up a good bit. It does have a drop axle, front axle, and a radiator off of an A. Just about tore it up clearing land. But I still use it and it very rarely fails to do what I ask of it. It has had new rings and inserts twice, (same sleeves) oil changed twice when it was re rung, and the head has never been touched. The front seal has been leaking for 30+ years but stops after it warms up. Yes, it does smoke, but so do I so we are a lot alike. But she is one tough old bird. My neighbor uses it to make his and my garden with it. It has had 30 wt. oil in the hydraulics since it was a few months old. I think you will enjoy it.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby allenlook » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:46 am

Thanks for the feedback :D

Instead of posting a bunch of pics all at once, I'm going to post them as I get to each component - for instance the front tires on my Cub I happily replaced with trailer tires from Wal*Mart. So what do I need for fronts on my SA?

And I see I'm missing some bits for the rear hydraulics as well :( Oh well.

I learnt all the resources, books, and web sites for the Cub, including our gracious parts suppliers, but now I need to redo all that work finding out book on the SA, web sites, and most importantly parts!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:54 am

Allen,

I think you will find that your cub knowledge will help you alot with this SA. As you know, I recently completed work on my '45 B Farmall and found that most of what I learned about cubs helped a great deal on the B. I would advise you to get a parts manual and a service manual. They will help fill in the gaps. :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

super A

Postby LiL' Red » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:29 am

Allen, Just think of it as a Cub on steroids. Have a 41 A myself, nice little tractors. First thing you need to know is that A's are prone to rollovers. The right side wheel should be heavy cast iron, the left likely will be pressed steel. If you don't have the cast wheel on the right side, get a wheel weight on there before you drive it on sidehills. Try bypassing your ign switch to see if its shorting out. Had the tractor been sitting a while before you bought it, or was it in use?

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Weight

Postby allenlook » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:42 pm

There's a funny looking wheel weight on the right side rear, I'll try to post a picture of that at some point. Wasn't sure what the heck that was for!

The tractor sat for so long that there's green moss growing all over the underside of the right fender, and the battery is so full of rain water that it squirts out the top when you try to start the tractor :D

Ah, hobbies. What would I do without 'em :D

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:06 pm

Allen:

Congrats on the Super A :!: :D

As for other websites, you probably won't find all that much considering what you are used to.. however, you really don't have to go very far.....

Super A - Super AV will take you to the index page for the Super A - Super AV Owner's Manual, Super A Special Attachments and the TC-39B Parts Catalog. :!: :idea: :D

I think it is already ISO's on your drive yes :?: :?:

Unfortunately, I do not have the GSS Series Service Manual yet, but maybe someday huh :?: :?:

Let me know if this helps.............
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

OK

Postby allenlook » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:49 pm

Thanks Rudi, I will search for service manuals and/or CDs!

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:49 pm

sounds like you have yourself a pretty nice machine allen :!: :lol: :!: those are pretty nice tractors..... espicially for teh power...

Johnny

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:42 pm

Dont worry allen....I recently bought a Super A and I dont know about it either!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Carm

Postby allenlook » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:38 pm

Carm,

Glad to know I'm not alone :D

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby allenlook » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:48 pm

Lil' Red,

I DO have a cast wheel on the right side, as well as some funny looking wheel weight. Looks almost like a FRONT wheel weight?

A lot of the wires on the tractor are the old cloth-covered type, I think I should just rewire the sucker!

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:49 pm

allen,
what is your vision for your tractor? a worker? when i rewire my 12v farmall m i will madify the harness for extra lights , cig lighter and maybe something like a sprayer and winch. btw your sa is nice ! i like the pics.
John

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Thx

Postby allenlook » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:56 pm

Thanks JB, it will definitely be a worker - it is going to shed the Henderson loader and receive the IH-1000 that I've been saving for it.

I rewired the rear of the Cub to have a few extra lights, a cigarette lighter socket, etc. So this one will probably receive the same treatment :)

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”