This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Battery Problems 101

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Battery Problems 101

Postby Bigdog » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:45 pm

My neighbor's son has a truck stored in my barn. I noticed him down there yesterday - he took it out to work on it and brought it back later. He had to move a couple of tractors to get it out and I noticed that he left a Ford 4000 Diesel belonging to another neighbor up at the front of the barn and not back out of the way. Didn't think too much about it and while I was down in the shop today I thought I'd move it back where it belonged. Climbed on and stuck the key in and turned it. Click, click, click! Dang dead battery! :evil:
Stuck the little charger on it while I was tinkering in the shop. It was charging about 6 amps. Couple of hours later I walked back over and the charger was down to a trickle. Un-hooked the charger and walked around, climbed into the seat, hit the key and grunt, grunt, BANG! :shock: :shock:
Blew the top off of the battery! Smoke and acid went everywhere!
Got down, shook the stuff outta my britches and took a look after the smoke cleared.
Blew the top clean off'n the battery and split the case.
Talked to my neighbor and found out that he had been back there with his son yesterday and it was clear dead. He put his big booster - charger on it and couldn't get it to turn over. Said he figured it had a shorted cell - I told him - not any more. :roll:
Woulda been nice to have had some warning!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:38 pm

I'm just glad no one was hurt :!: :!: Glad Mikey wasn't over for a visit, that could have been terrible :!:
8)

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:40 pm

Bigdog, That's scary. I"ve been lucky, never have had any problems. My brother had one blow up on him and he had to go to the ER. I believe he received some slight eye damage. I'm going to have to be more careful. I very seldom pay attention to which cable I should connect first. That sufuric acid can really do a lot of damage. Your neighbors should have warned you about that. Any more, I'm hesitant to let people have free reign on my property. I carry plenty of liability insurance but don't want to fool with being made liable for anything. You had a close call.
Larry

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:58 pm

Sure glad you're not hurt. Batterys have a way of commanding respect!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:14 pm

Sure glad you're OK!

Electricity and PSI - two things that scare the hell out of me.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:20 pm

The hydrogen battery bombs will scare the pants off anyone :!: All lead-acid batteries have some means of venting themselves. There is usually one or more vent outlet on newer maintenance free batteries, and many of the older ones had small vent holes right in the cell filler caps that liked to clog up with sulfide over time. Then when charging the gasses can't escape and the whole battery pressurizes. If cells had shorts, then turning the key probably made it internally spark when all the current was being released, and whammo it ignites the pressurized hydrogen gas at the top of the casing where it was trying to escape.

For those old batteries, always remove the cell caps when charging to prevent this. (Many have left them unattended and when they blew up they set their barns or garages on fire) For maintenance free find the vent hole(s) (usually about a 1/8" nipple-looking thing that faces down from the top cover) and make sure it is open. Also don't leave a charging battery unattended for long periods of time. End of safety-pup session LOL :D

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:40 pm

A friend ad a Stearman and a Cessna burn up in a hangar fire related to battery charging.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:29 am

Hey BigDog...GLAD to hear you're O.K. after that battery explosion :shock: I'd not only be shaking the battery acid OFF my britches...I'd be THROWIN' EM' AWAY (after I SOILED them from the SHOCK :oops: :shock: )!
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:08 am

I made a metal battery cover for my Super A yesterday for just such a reason - it's not extremely hardy, but it's strapped down and the rust holes in the rest of the box will hopefully provide some venting should something like that ever occur.

I'd rather have the battery under the seat like on the Cub instead of in my face like on the Super A...
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:00 am

Glad to hear you are ok.Probable the first spark them britches have seen
in a bit. :lol:
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:57 pm

Oh Bigdog, we can't do without you, those batteries are sure dangerous, glad to hear your OK
Pat

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”