This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fasthitch on SC - 200 - 230 Series

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fasthitch on SC - 200 - 230 Series

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:13 am

I'm looking for a new project - I originally thought I was interested in a Super C, but I've just begun to consider a 200, or a 230 as well. I hardly knew about either one of them till recently (assuming I can find one of them). From what I can tell, other than sheet metal and some minor chnages, they are pretty much the same tractor.

My interest, other than the project part, is to put a 7 foot rear blade on it for snow plowing, grading dirt, etc. So the Fasthitch is important. That's my question. From what I can tell, the Fasthitch on the SC and 200 are the same, and while they have a hydraulic cylinder that works the hitch itself, they are also somehow coupled with a rod to a Touch Control similar to that on the Cub. But the 230 seems to have a different type of Fasthitch that does not have the Touch Control connection. Does anyone know about the 230 - does it even have a Touch Control? Is the Fasthitch better on the 230? Do you think it make a difference for what I'd like to do? There is an excellent article on Fasthitches in May 2004 of Red Power magazine, but it doesn't discuss this.

Thanks
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:55 am

As far as I know, the Super C and 200 Fast-Hitches are essentially identical. A cylinder is mounted on the back for raising/lowering. Linkage to the Touch-Control allow one Touch-Control valve to be used for pitch (like the lever/crank at the Cub platform). Another link to the other side of the Touch-Control controls side tilt (like the crank on the back of a Cub).

The 230 is quite a bit different. Most 230s have a Hydra-Touch hydraulic system which does not have a big unit with built-in cylinders and rockshaft. The hitch is a Traction Control style hitch, quite different from the earlier models. I has a cylinder similar to the others for raising/lowering, a crank on the rear for side tilt but no control like the third on the earlier tractors.

Other than the hydraulics and hitch, I think the 230 has very little difference from the other models.

For your blade work, any of them will probably work equally well. For other tractors in the same size range, you might want to watch for a 240 as well. It came after the 230. Again, there were sheet metal changes. It was made in both Farmall and Utility styles, although Farmalls are pretty rare. The platform and seat were changed to Utility style for both versions.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:20 am

Thanks Jim, I knew you'd be able to help me out. It sounds like the 230 doesn't have the Touch Control at all. I thought if it did, you might be able to control a front snowplow hydraulically independantly from the rear Fasthitch, with the back blade on. Sounds like you can't either with the SC and 200 because the Touch Control is dedicated to working with the Fasthitch. Just thinking about the occasional big snow we sometimes get up here - you could take two cuts in one pass - high in the front and lower in the rear.

Paul

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:29 am

On the Super C and 200 hitch, you can pin the linkage to the Touch-Control off to a fixed position on the tractor chassis, freeing up the Touch-Control for front mounted use. I know you can do it with one link, pretty sure you can with both.

Front mounted equipment on a 230 requires use of a remote cylinder up front.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:59 am

Thanks again Jim: that's exactly the information I needed. While I may or may not need both front and rear capabilities, at least I know my options. Sounds like the Super C or 200 would best suit my purposes. I don't often see ads for 230s anyway. I actually prefer the "look" of the 200 grill over the SC so for lack of a better reason that will be my target.

Paul

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:35 pm

Super Cs are abundant; you see them for sale all the time. 200s are fairly rare by comparison. 230s are practically impossible to find.

Remeber that the Super C and 200 both have DUAL Touch Control units. You control depth on the fast hitch with one, and operate another implement with the other.

The 230's Hydra Touch system also included one hydraulic remote in addition to the fast hitch control. With this, you could control an additional hydraulic cylinder for a front mounted plow.

With any of these, you can plumb in additional hydraulic remotes. On the Super C and 200, you need a bypass block, while the 230 would plumb directly on to the remote.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:08 pm

Thanks for the indepth information Matt. I had no idea about the things you mentioned, so they help alot. I primarily watch the Lancaster Farm News ads; I now feel much better armed in my search.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”