This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What is the diffrence in the A'S??

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
little_red_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

What is the diffrence in the A'S??

Postby little_red_cub » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:56 pm

O.K. My question is , What is the diffrence between the A and the Super A? I have just traded for an A or Super A . It say's A cultivator on the side, but I was just wondering the diffrence between the two.I am also wanting to know where the serial number location on ethier of the two.So I can find out the year of this tractor.
Keep your cubs up and keep your row's straight

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:10 pm

The big difference is that the Super A almost always has Touch-Control and the A never did. Many smaller details differed between the 2.

The serial plate on most As and all Super As was on the left seat bracket.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:19 pm

little_red_cub:

On the Cub Manual Server, if you scroll down to Other International Harvester McCormick-Deering Farmall Tractors, you will see the links for the A-b and the Super A and Super AV Tractors.

Undr the A-B, so far there is just the TC-26E Parts Calalog, and the Super A and Super AV has the Super A - Super AV Owner's Manual, the Super A Special Attachments and the TC-39B Parts Calalog. This should be enough to show you the basic differences as well as the location of the serial tag.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:40 am

So What was the difference in the A and the AI . My fater in law has an AI and What I have been able to observe is that it has a throttle pedal and no hydro.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:04 am

That pedal and the front axle. In the Supers, there was a minor difference in the valving of the Touch-Control.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:13 am

Can you retro fit hydrolics to the A from a Super A :?: The farmer across the street said the engine block was different and the hyd would not have a mounting spot. I was wondering as my dad is thinking of getting a A and putting SA hyd unit on it.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:25 am

Not worth trying. The farmar across the street is right about the block. The bell housing dosen't have a place for the main Touch-Control unit. Gas tank outlet is in the wrong place. Then if you want to actually mount something that uses the hydraulics, the final drive housings are wrong. The fenders won't support the rear rockshaft. . . .

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:27 am

Nice replies Jim! As always, a *master* of all things Farmall :D

I bought a second hydraulic unit off eBay because I thought mine was bad, but it's actually working top-notch. The new unit came with two curved arms on it, each with a single hole in the end, instead of the three arms with "holding pins" on them like the one on my tractor. What is the difference and does the "two arm" unit still use both hydraulic levers?

The reason I ask is that I *just* received yesterday a 2-point hitch for the Super A, and a Category-1 3-point hitch to retrofit to it (not the super-de-duper expensive one from RedLandHill on eBay for $459, but their Cat-1 kit for $130)...

I haven't even taken them out of the box yet, but I'm figuring on hooking them up to the outer arm on the left side of the tractor somehow... The arms on the Super A look awful thin compared even to my Cub :shock:

I think today's rain is a good opportunity to take off the Hesston loader and to play around with putting on the 2 and 3 point hitches.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:38 am

Jim Becker wrote: the final drive housings are wrong. . . . .

Jim, is it possible that the late model A had the same characteristics as the Super A as far as the final drives? The reason I ask is, my Super A right side final drive broke and I bought an A and used the final drive, front axel, and radiator on it from the A. I then sold the A to a guy in Indiana. The only thing I can think of is a previous owner changed the final drive from the A to one from a Super A. I can't find any previous owners kin to find out what he did. But whatever it is from, it works well on my Super A with my 3 point hitch.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:43 pm

Merlin wrote:Jim, is it possible that the late model A had the same characteristics as the Super A as far as the final drives?

I really doubt it. The tractor Parts Catalog doesn't show any change, nor does any implement Parts Catalog or Owner's Manual that I have seen (including ones published after A/B production stopped). My B has a serial number 215xxx (September '47) and it has the early style housings.

An interesting thing about this change, it was approved as a running change for the '43 sales year. However, WWII interfered and there was no A/B production in '43. The change didn't happen until the Super A came along. (Well, the Cub was already being built that way.)

The A and Super A front axles were the same. The later A radiators were the same as the Super A radiator.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:15 pm

Jim thanks for the info :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

little_red_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby little_red_cub » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:34 pm

Well I found out by Jim and the place I got it from that it is a SA. I am glad to. I have a 1948 farmall cub w/belly mower, and now a farmall SA with implement's.A pull behind blade, 2 diffrent disk a plow; I think is a potato plow, and a bush hog.(don't know the yr. yet). Do you all think a 1950 ferguson was worth the trade? It had a blown head gasket, but a nice paint job.It also ran.I was worried at first about the SA the hyd. wouldn't work , but then a little fluid and up and down it went.I am happy with it. Already done cleared a spot behind the shop for a lean too for the tractor's and my military jeep.Well thank's for the replie's.
Keep your cubs up and keep your row's straight

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:10 pm

Keep an ehye on your hydro and engine oil levels, the pump on a super A can leak into the engien just like a cub can.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”