This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 460 won't start after sitting for a while.

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dock09
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall 460 won't start after sitting for a while.

Postby dock09 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:40 pm

I inherited my father-in-law's 460 this past winter. I noticed that he used to pull the tractor a short distance to start it after it sat in the shed for the winter. We had to pull it to start it in November for me to get it home where I put a new battery in it, and it started right up. Now, after sitting in a shed since Nov., it won't start. It wouldn't even hit although the battery turned it over very rapidly and gasoline was getting to the carb. I haven't checked the spark yet. I DO NOT want to have to pull-start this tractor - ever. So what do I need to do to correct this problem? Any advice on where to begin would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all. Dock

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:44 pm

Start by cleaning and re-setting the points. Then check for presence of spark when cranking the engine over. Make sure there is voltage to the coil primary when the switch is on and make sure that it is there when the starter is cranking the engine over. It is most likely glazed or dirty points but I have seen a case where a previous owner inadvertantly made a wiring change while doing some work and had no power to the coil while cranking the engine.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:08 pm

I agree with doing the electrical checks first. If that doesn't cure it, do a compression check. After sitting for a long time, the cylinders will be pretty dry, making any compression problem from worn cylinders/rings much worse. After doing dry and wet compression tests, it may start just because of oil added to the cylinders.

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”