This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

JB Weld

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

JB Weld

Postby sviennadan » Tue May 09, 2006 1:17 pm

Anyone have experience with JB Weld at high temperatures? Ineed to fix a crack on an aluminum block lawn mower, so it's only air cooled.
All this proves is that one gnome pounding on the keyboard for years still will not produce the works of Shakespeare.
No animals were hurt in the rending of this page, but 18 queries were mangled in about 3.874 seconds.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: JB Weld

Postby George Willer » Tue May 09, 2006 2:34 pm

sviennadan wrote:Anyone have experience with JB Weld at high temperatures? Ineed to fix a crack on an aluminum block lawn mower, so it's only air cooled.

It's been a long time since I made such a repair, but I think JB Weld will resist any temperature below what the lubricating oil can resist. Maybe the difference is very slight, but you should be good to go.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue May 09, 2006 2:36 pm

When you see suspicious smoke, back off!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed May 10, 2006 9:46 am

I used it to seal the top of my radiator and it held up fine for a year at which point I had it recored.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu May 11, 2006 4:56 am

My experiences with JB Weld have ALL been positive :wink: I have found that the bonding works far better when cracks are properly CLEANED and free of any dirt or grease. I use brake cleaner on the surfaces to clean them.

I use a DREMEL fine rotary bit to enlarge the crack slightly, and get a NEW, clean surface to work with.

Mixing EQUAL amounts is extremely important for a lasting bond. So if you squeeze out two equally looking lines of JB Weld (close to, but not touching each other)...you can cut them BOTH (at either end) with a single edge razor blade and discard any excess BEFORE you mix them together. :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 11, 2006 7:26 pm

I've never tried it myself, but they claim you cna use JB Weld to install valve seats.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”