This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

open jenny?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

open jenny?

Postby jakeesspoo » Thu May 25, 2006 7:03 pm

I know we have some horse people here so you could probally answer my question. I recently got a jack and a jenny from seperate owners. I really dont know anything about there past. The jack was pretty excited to have a female companion around :lol: How do I tell, or when can I tell when the Jenny is pregnant? I know the gestation period is around 12 13 months on donkeys, Im hoping to have a new little one next spring... :)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Thu May 25, 2006 7:58 pm

I'm curious about that too. We always had horses and mules and always heard that you had to bred a horse to a jenny to get a mule because Jacks are sterile.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Thu May 25, 2006 8:08 pm

Russell F. will know the answer to this perplexing quandry. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Russell F
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38370

Postby Russell F » Thu May 25, 2006 8:23 pm

Well, i always watch for the "winking" they do when they are in heat. It kinda reminds me of a female dog in heat they way they throw back their tail, but they also "wink" and certain part of their femaldom. You'll know it when you see it. This is true of mares and molley mules, sure it's the same for jennies.

If you don't see her go into heat for a few months, then it's a safe bet. You can also take her to a vet and have them check to see if she is pregnate.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”