This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

apple tree trouble

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

apple tree trouble

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:00 pm

I have an apple tree in my backyard, that has spots appearing on all the leaves. I was talking to a neighbor and he is having the same problem. Every leaf is covered with the spdts, and I am afraid of it dying. does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:36 pm

If you have been getting a lot of rain, it is probably a mold or fungus.

Take a sample leaf to your nearest ag extension office. They have probably been looking at examples for weeks and will be able to tell you what the problem is and how to fix it.

The same looking symptom may indicate a different problem in different parts of the country.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:32 am

Fter doign some research, it appears to be cedar-apple rust. Caused by an orange colored (in spring, turning brown later in season) fungus with tentacles tha tgrows on red cedar trees.. Apparently pretty dificult to control in an are alike ours that has a lot of cedars. For more info go to
http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/di ... omcar.html
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:33 am

John,

There are certain varieties (most of them older) that handle cedar rust quite well. I will be planting several in the fall. After I do my homework I will eMail the results.

Richard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:46 am

We get similar spots on our crabapple leaves in the late spring early summer when it is wet in the spring. Doesn't kill the tree, but does sometimes cause the leaves to drop early.

I have been told that it is important to make sure that you rake up all the leaves from under the tree and dispose of them. In other words, DON'T mulch them into the grass under the tree. That just serves to increase the reinfestation of the mold the next year...

Good luck!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”