Stuck engine advice

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rjd
Zip Code: 00000

Stuck engine advice

Postby rjd » Tue May 22, 2018 9:15 pm

:help:
Got my B home, now trying to get it to turn over.
Pulled out the spark plugs to find some signs of water having been in two cylinders.
If I fill them up with whatever and get it to spin should I try starting because what damage is done is done and running won't make any difference?
Alternatively am I better to rip off the head and have a proper look, to avoid more problems?
Will only use the tractor for showing so doesn't need to do anything other than drive on and off a trailer.
Thanks Richard

Eugene H.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36255
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub
1973 154-Lo-Boy

Re: Stuck engine advice

Postby Eugene H. » Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 pm

If it was me, I would pull the head and have a look.
:tractor:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Stuck engine advice

Postby Eugene » Wed May 23, 2018 1:08 am

Remove the head, try and determine how the moisture entered the engine. Also determine how rusted up the cylinders are.

Short/long story. I was given my grandfathers WC Allis, engine frozen up. Worked for 6 months trying to free up the engine. Didn't happen. Purchased another WC with a dropped valve. The complete tractor was cheaper then an overhaul kit. And the purchased tractor came with original spoked rear wheels, which a previous owner had sold and replaced with flat disk hubs.
I have an excuse. CRS.