UTCO Products /The Universal Tool Co.

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
mozer71
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 22650

UTCO Products /The Universal Tool Co.

Postby mozer71 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:34 am

Cylinder boring machines. This is a tractor site and some of you may remember these. They were very strong heavy units to bore cylinders out in the field. No electric or pneumatics then. I can't find any info on them except in an old pamphlet from 1920. They were cleverly designed. The cutting head has 6 steel cutters adjusted by a central cone. The unit was driven by a large "T" bar which drove the head much faster than the Acme depth advance. The unit included various size cones to be attached to the head- to match one of the numerous beveled rings-installed before clamping the unit to the engine block. The unit was very stout yet gained more stability by driving that matching ring down the bore, ahead of the cutting head.

mozer71
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Re: UTCO Products /The Universal Tool Co.

Postby mozer71 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:47 am

Okay. I didn't ask a question except does anyone know what I'm talking about? No hurry but we aren't getting any younger. Somebody has one of those heads The only I have is for larger cylinders, the smaller was extracted from the set.

mozer71
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Re: UTCO Products /The Universal Tool Co.

Postby mozer71 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:39 am

Back in the days, rings broke, pistons could seize way out there. There are pictures of men with top hats, had removed the huge head with some crane but no way could take the engine out. They are standing around in the engine bay. One is straddling the engine block, ( I guess he was the guy who attached the unit to the block) Of course the pan was removed and the pistons were removed. There was towels upon various journals. They wound that cutter head in and it progressed faster than advance.