And the fun begins. 1st cub restoration

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
IHCFan1950
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 71119
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (Barn fire survivor) A.K.A "Smokey the Great Bear Cub"
1952 Farmall Cub
1990 Kubota L2250
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: And the fun begins. 1st cub restoration

Postby IHCFan1950 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:45 am

Adajen wrote:The oil looks like not much water if any. Any luck the lower might not be as bad. That is a lot of loose rust/sludge your looking at. After blowing everything off with air hose it looked a good bit better. I'd say 75% was gone after air hose . As far as a new motor. Not so interested unless absolutely necessary. The whole purpose was for a project. Only TIME, MONEY AND MEMORIES in the future haha.
Off on kind of another topic but about a year ago I purchased some barn metal from a man about 2.5 hours from me. Took a while to find this place but when I got there the metal was just like advertised along with a lot of tractors and other farm equipment. Man and his farm hand helped us load everything. I had glanced over and seen a pretty cub sitting in grass that had been mowed. I'd say great/excellent condition, good paint, Anyways I asked the man, are you selling everything out here? He responded something on the lines of. Everything's for sale for the right price, Not exactly sure about that part. So I asked. How about that cub? He said nope that's not for sale. Go over there and take a look at the serial number. So I did of course. S#507. I said "nice its one of he first ones and he just said yep and we went on about our business. Wasn't till later that I got home and done some looking up I found out the serial numbers as far as I could see started at 501. So if all that was the case and the serial number on that cub was original then that's a pretty cool find. .

If it cleaned up like you say it did, then you may very well have a keeper for an engine. But like Willy said, Kroil is you friend in this scenario. It made my restoration possible! It's high dollar stuff ($15.00 a can in my neighborhood), but it is worth it.
If a sharp rap with your hammer doesn't work, you know it's an electrical problem! :lol:

Circle of Safety

cjack
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub

Postby cjack » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Glad to read this thread. Also starting a similar project with my son, on his grandfather's 49 Cub. When we pulled off the head the cylinders and valves looked slightly better than your photo, except all were full of coolant. It too cleaned up really well but this is clearly going to be a big project!

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35111
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:36 am

Please keep us updated and post LOTS of Pictures along the way!!! Looking forward to your project.......looks like yours is an early Circle Cub too. What is the serial number?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Adajen
Zip Code: 61834

Postby Adajen » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:54 pm

S#25667