This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cleaning a gas tank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.
Circle of Safety: Y

Cleaning a gas tank

Postby Papa's Cub » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:05 pm

I'm trying to clean a gas tank on my most recent cub and discovered it is quiet rusty with huge flakes of rust. I pressure washed it and most of the flakes came out but it needs further attention. I plan on using vinegar and baking soda for the final cleaning before applying Red Kote but have a question. Is there a difference between white vinegar and red apple cider vinegar. What ratio of vinegar to water works best and how long should it take to dissolve the remaining rust. Thanks in advance, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Re: Cleaning a gas tank

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Follow the instructions on the Red Kote container, for best results.

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:43 pm

I really like the Caswell liner. They say it works best if you don't remove all the rust, just the loose stuff.

You just get the loose rust out, rinse with some lacquer thinner to remove all traces of fuel and apply.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:20 pm

muriatic acid will eat the rust out, then rinse with baking soda to kill the acid

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,

Postby Papa's Cub » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:36 am

Yesterday I washed the inside of the tank with hot water and Dawn dish detergent. After attempting to scrub the inside with a towel nailed to a piece of wood I rocked the tank considerably and left it to soak for a few hours. Upon emptying the soap and thoroughly rinsing with water I bet at least a quart of rust flakes come out. I then added 2 gal of white and two gal of red vinegar and topped it off with water. My question, how long (hours/days) should It take for the mixture of vinegar take to clean tank. When the vinegar has finished dissolving the remaining rust and I dump the solution I plan to rinse it with water and baking soda to neutralize any acidic residue that may remain in the tank. Next, I plan to apply a quart of "RED KOTE" as per instructions. I hope this will stop the rust and eliminate future problems. Many thanks for the previous comments, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:18 am

Be sure to completely dry the gas tank before applying Red Kote.

Make sure the Red Kote is completely dry before putting the gas tank into use.

A shop vac, hose inserted into gas cap opening, on exhaust for several hours will help dry the tank.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Papa's Cub » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Eugene wrote:Be sure to completely dry the gas tank before applying Red Kote.

Make sure the Red Kote is completely dry before putting the gas tank into use.

A shop vac, hose inserted into gas cap opening, on exhaust for several hours will help dry the tank.

Thanks for the tip on using shop vac exhaust to speed up the drying of the tank. I plan to add some acetone after draining the vinegar to help eliminate the water prior to adding the Red Kote. ( it's been soaking in the vinegar and water solution for 24 hrs and I can shine a light inside and tell the rust is dissolving cause I can see patches of clean metal and also the gas cap is now rust free, so I'll let it soak for another day and look again ) Thanks, Tom.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:01 pm

Don’t use the vacuum cleaner if you put acetone or anything else flammable in it, the sparks from the vacuum cleaner motor will make a loud boom and could be deadly, it’s the fumes that ignite. Safety first.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Papa's Cub » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:39 pm

:surrender: OK ... Saturday I rinsed the tank after draining the vinegar solution and filled it again with dawn and hot water and let it set for probably 30 minutes before the final flushing with water. I used the exhaust port of the shop vac to blow it dry for about 30 minutes. Then I sloshed some acetone around in it and placed it in the sun to dry. It appeared to be dry so I poured in a quart of Red-Kote and began rolling and tumbling the tank trying to coat everything inside. Thinking the inside was completely coated I drained the remaining sealant which was probably 1/2 -2/3 cup. For the next hour I continued to roll and turn the tank in an effort to avoid puddling of the sealant. This morning to my disappointment when I looked into the tank I discovered an small area approximately 3 x 4 inches in the right front corner that was not coated. The rest of the tank looks great, at least what I can see. What should I do next? If I add additional sealant will it bond with the first cost? Will gas penetrate under the existing sealant if left as is? Any suggestions appreciated, Tom. :help:

Return to “Farmall Cub”