This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Filter housing oil leak stopped.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Filter housing oil leak stopped.

Postby Waif » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:32 pm

The 48 Cub came with more silicone than some Hollywood wives. Under the oil filter housing's cap ,on top of the cap , and a rubber grommet mashed on top from who knows where for good measure.
Yes it stopped the leaks , and was done again since I owned it. But it needed to be addressed.
Cleaned it all off good and put the crushed stock (?) aluminum cap back on , then sat back and admired the leaks.

A new filter housing cover, gasket, copper washer from T.M. tractors , (which as usual arrived promptly).... and no more leak. :{_}:

Multiple oil changes has improved things. Oil pressure and response of pressure is noted as greater. Stays up better in the 48 , where it used to fall to an uncomfortable level when hot. ( It had originally arrived sludgy , with a filter that barely fit the housing diameter...)

Now running Rotella T4 15w-40 in both tractors. Gallons were cheaper than quarts when I grabbed NAPA's last filter , enough to get an extra quart by buying by the gallon...vs. buying three quarts for the same price or more.

Next change won't be till spring ,but expect cleaner removed oil yet again. This last batch looked more like carbon coloring than any sludge or change in viscosity ,though a couple drips when draining the housing's drain cap were a little gummy looking.
:tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

punchofdeath
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25617
Tractors Owned: 1956 Cub

Re: Filter housing oil leak stopped.

Postby punchofdeath » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:27 pm

The oil in the pipe where you drain the filter housing is usually like dark gray and usually thick and goopy in mine. Oil from the crankcase just looks like regular used motor oil when drained as well as viscosity. I assume its due to the oil not really flowing in that spot so anything with weight to it may end up settling down in the pipe? When I done my first oil change on it the pipe was completely clogged. I take it my grandfather didn't bother draining the filter housing lol. Either way the inside of my engine appeared very clean when I had the valve cover off a few months ago.
Caleb
Circle of Safety

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Re: Filter housing oil leak stopped.

Postby Waif » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:36 pm

punchofdeath wrote:The oil in the pipe where you drain the filter housing is usually like dark gray and usually thick and goopy in mine. Oil from the crankcase just looks like regular used motor oil when drained as well as viscosity. I assume its due to the oil not really flowing in that spot so anything with weight to it may end up settling down in the pipe? When I done my first oil change on it the pipe was completely clogged. I take it my grandfather didn't bother draining the filter housing lol. Either way the inside of my engine appeared very clean when I had the valve cover off a few months ago.

Nice that you see clean!
That oil pipe does seem to get sediment in it. A good place for it. And another good engineering design.

Return to “Farmall Cub”