This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic Pump

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Festeraxp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15521

Hydraulic Pump

Postby Festeraxp » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:58 am

Hey guys so I bought the new seal kits for the Hydraulic Pump in the rear of the cub and the one in the front. However watching the tutorial video online I notice that not all parts of my pumps come out. On the video she pulls out all pieces of the pump. My question is, do all the pieces come out of all pumps, and if they do how do I get those stuck ones out? mainly I'm talking about the rear hydraulic pump, the one under the gas tank. If they don't come out, then I'm guessing that I have a different pump. If any of you can help that would be tremendous. I have to get it built as soon as possible we are almost in the stages of sanding and getting ready to paint. So its all on my shoulders. Thanks everyone.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hydraulic Pump

Postby MiCarl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:11 pm

There is only one pump which is on the left front of the engine. The unit under the gas tank is the touch control block which incorporates the valve, pressure regulation, hydraulic cylinder and reservoir.

There are multiple versions of the touch control block. There are some differences in the parts between them. If you got the universal kit you will have extra parts.

I just did mine and I would have been lost without the service manual. Even with the manual (which I consider poor) I had to do lots of noodling to sort it out.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:35 pm

I got interrupted by the phone during my last post:

I'm a professional mechanic (motorcycle) and as I said it took some thought for me to sort it out. Since you don't seem to be at all familiar with hydraulics you might have a tougher time. If you don't have it GET THE SERVICE MANUAL.

You need to work on a clean surface and clean everything thoroughly. Coat everything with hydraulic fluid during assembly. Follow the owners manual exactly to fill and purge the air properly.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:19 pm

If you look in the "how to" forum, you can find some good pictures on how to do it.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Festeraxp
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Festeraxp » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:29 pm

Okay thank you. I will look.

Festeraxp
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Festeraxp » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:04 pm

funny thing is, im bad with the computer cant seem to find the how to part. lol.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi,
You didn't say what year of Cub you have, or if it is a Farmall Cub.

There is only 1 Touch Control pump on a Cub, that is mounted on the engine, like was said above.
Below is a page from the Cub owner's manual showing the parts of the system.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-65.jpg

If you mean you are rebuilding the pump, and the Touch Control unit, they may not need rebuilding, if they worked right before. A fluid change may be all it needs. The owner's manual tells how to change the fluid, and remove the air from the system.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-67.jpg

Below are pages from the Cub parts manual, showing the Touch Control unit, there are several different part numbers of units, the number is on the left side of the unit.
These pages show all except the newest unit, which came out in late 1954, but could have been put on the Cub later by someone.
Not all Touch Controls have the parts in the square and rectangle in the pic. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 010-02.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 010-03.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 010-04.jpg

Sometimes the valves are rather hard to get out of the Touch Control block.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:29 am

There are basically TWO different Touch Control (TC) blocks (more, but there are 2 rebuild kits), and the kits are different. The one you need is based on the Part number cast into the TC block.

Once you have the appropriate kit, try to do the rebuild in one day. If you have to stop in the middle, it's easy to lose track of things. There are 2 HOW TO's posted, one for the early and one for the later blocks. I suggest printing it out, and having it at hand while doing the rebuild. They show how to remove those pesky valves and parts that are quite difficult. Do NOT gouge the valve holes in the block...you could cause leaks or malfunctions.

Go to Walmart and get a plastic silverware divider tray, and organize those parts according to the photos of the How To. Take LOTS of photos of the process so you can reassemble it more easily.

Post again if you have problems. Just try to be methodical, to the point of being anal! Keep things SUPER CLEAN during reassembly with plenty of HyTran for lubrication of ALL the parts being inserted.

Good luck!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

bubbaearl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27522

Postby bubbaearl » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:59 pm

When I did my reservoir last fall I took the head off and drew a picture of it and numbered each hole and put a number on a small container to match each hole in the block and it sure helped when I put it back together and was able to size up the o rings by hole it came out of and like every one says I had several o rings left over. The pump however was a lot easier.

Return to “Farmall Cub”