This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

48 Knock in 2nd

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 48 Knock in 2nd

Postby Glen » Thu May 21, 2020 8:18 pm

Hi,
Hamilton Bob's, at the bottom of the page, sells new shifter forks.
He sells 154, 185, and 184 parts, but I have read on here people have put the shifter forks in Cubs also. :)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dadsfarmalls
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 61081
Tractors Owned: 1945 Farmall M
1948 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall 200
1965 IH Cub

Postby Dadsfarmalls » Fri May 22, 2020 4:19 pm

I made an intro video for the 48, I did a part where I ran it in 2nd and you can hear the noise its making. You can skip ahead in it if you don't want to listen to me yap :D :D

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat May 23, 2020 1:27 am

Hi,
Good video about the Cub.

Part of the looseness in the steering could be the steering arm setscrews are loose and need tightening.
The arms are at the right and left ends of the front axle.
You probably need another person to sit in the seat, and turn the steering wheel to check for looseness.

With the Cub stopped, and the wheels straight ahead, turn the steering wheel through it's free play, and look at the arm and shaft, if it looks loose, the setscrew needs tightening.
Loosen the lock nut a turn or so, and remove the setscrew, and see if the end of it looks good.
There is a pic of one below.
The end of the setscrew is tapered, and fits into a tapered hole in the shaft.
If it is good, put it back in, and tighten it, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth a little while you tighten the setscrew.
Tighten the lock nut when done.

That is a sort of common thing on that style of steering arms, they loosen from use, and need checking, and to be kept tight.

Sometimes the tapered end of the setscrew breaks off in the hole, if that has happened, write and tell us, and we can give you info about how to fix that.
TM Tractor has new setscrews.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of a steering arm and setscrew. :)
Attachments
Cub steering arm right .jpg

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Sat May 23, 2020 5:32 am

You looked at the gears on the trans input shaft, but did you inspect the gears they mate to on the output shaft? This really sounds like you have missing teeth on the 2nd gear set.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Dadsfarmalls
Cub Star
Cub Star
1948 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall 200
1965 IH Cub

Postby Dadsfarmalls » Sat May 23, 2020 3:02 pm

Im trying to get out to look at it again between tornado sirens. I noticed that when i have it shifted in to 2nd gear, that the rail has play in it front to back, so the 2 3 moves about a 16th of an inch I would guess, is that normal?

Dadsfarmalls
Cub Star
Cub Star
1948 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall 200
1965 IH Cub

Postby Dadsfarmalls » Sat May 23, 2020 8:11 pm

Well I've looked the gears over about 4 times today, the ones on the top shaft and the ones on the bottom. I can't find any broken off teeth, worst damage I can find are the dings on the few teeth of the 2/3 gear that can be seen in the first pic that I posted. I guess I can drain the trans and and look to see if there are any teeth on the bottom, or if there is something I'm missing.

I cleaned out that top drain hole today also.

Thanks Glen for the front tire info, I'm adding it to my list.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat May 23, 2020 9:49 pm

Have you inspected and been through those front wheel bearings?
The only sound I can try to imagine (listening to vid.) is a fan blade or shroud. Followed by a valve or something. Sometimes sound gets transferred and is not always where suspected from...

Maybe the Cub was strained hard in second once. Or twice , and mesh is a little off.(?)Seems like teeth on a gear would show color or brightness wear marks...Or teeth shaped different than stock on the ends/tips.

Not recommending you chase that by adding a heavy lube with low throw off to see if it quiets... and then having to change it out again. But that's where I'd lean if I couldn't leave it as is and further visual inspections of gears,shafts,and linkages don't turn up the culprit.
Keep an eye out for a slightly bent shaft too. It could bind or clash slightly more on one side of a gear than the other.

Return to “Farmall Cub”