This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How To Mount A Pony Tank

All fuel related How To’s can be found here
Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

How To Mount A Pony Tank

Postby Redman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:54 pm

How To Mount A Pony Tank

When we think of tools for working on a Cub, we often times only think of wrenches, sockets, screw drivers, jacks, stands, etc. However, another great tool for working on a Cub is small Auxiliary Gas Tank or otherwise called a "pony tank". Many times when we work on our tractors, we need to take the hood/gas tank off, which then renders the tractor un-usable . To solve this little irritant, I recently made myself a very handy Auxiliary Gas Tank for working on my Cub. I fabricated the mount in a way that renders it very handy for many engine maintanence and adjustment applications. No matter what tractor you may be working on that requires the gas tank to be removed, this design allows for versatility when securing it for use.

Items I used for this design:
  1. 1- Small Engine Gas Tank off of an old junky lawn mower.
  2. 2 - Large Hose Clamps.
  3. 2 - Small Hose Clamps.
  4. 1 - Small Engine Shut-off Valve.
  5. 1 - Rubber Gas Line Hose at least 20 inches long. ID is determined by the diameter of your existing ga line or the barb etc, that may be fitted to your carb.
  6. 1 - 1/4" x 3/4" x 24" Flat Steel Bar Stock.
  7. 1 - 1/4" x 3/4" bolt c/w nut and washers.
  8. 1 - screw clamp (mine came off an old ping-pong table - (a small "C" clamp welded to a flat piece of metal would work as well.).

Fabrication:
Step 1:

1. Take the Flat Steel Bar Stock and bend it at the ends roughly 6" at both ends on a 90 degree angle forming a twist.
  2. Then twist the ends on another 90 degree angle.
  3. Drill a 5/16 inch hole in one end.
  4. The final product should look like Figure 1.
The Flat Bar Stock bent in the shape of a "C" will also allow you to work around various obstacles for making it easier to find a secure place to fasten the tank when using this "helpful tool" .

Step 2:
  1. Drill a 5/16 inch hole through the flange of the screw clamp.
  2. Then assemble it to the previously bent mounting strap using one screw as pictured in Figure 2. Note: Attaching it with only one screw will allow you to move it to varying locations when attaching it to side of
    tractor.

Step 3:
  1. If your Auxiliary Tank does not already have a shut off valve, you will need to install one. Sometimes you may find it easiest to splice a shut off into the hose some where.
  2. Attach hose to Auxiliary Tank"s shut off valve using a small hose clamp as pictured in Figure 3.
    You will use the second small hose clamp to secure hose to tractor"s fuel
    line later when in use.

Step 4:
  1. - attach auxiliary tank to opposite end from clamp onto the bent metal stick using 2 large hose clamps as pictured in Figure 4 and sized accordingly for the tank you have.

That's it :!: :wink:
Be sure to paint it IH Red, IH White or IH Federal Yellow. Now I use it to run the engine when the hood is off. I personally attach it to the opposite side of the exhaust and carburetor as in Figure 5. When attaching a clamp to metal with paint you don't want to scuff, place two pieces of wood with carpet attached to the wood on either side of painted metal between metal and clamp. This will help to prevent scuffing and chipping of paint.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Fuel”