Pan seat

Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:32 pm

Has anyone ever repaired the folded lip that goes around the edge of the pan seat? The seat on my '51 Cub has half of the folded edge missing from rustout and I was wondering how to repair the seat.

Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:37 pm


I don't think I would bother trying to fix it. You are probably better off buying a used seat, unless of course you want it padded. Then you can get it from OEM, Steiner, Chown Tractor Parts or a few other places. Also, if you have access to another pan seat cheaply, you can open up the crimp and have it redone as well.

Yust me dos centavos!

Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:52 pm

Or do like me and go the cheap way. Get a cushion that slips over it with an drawstring. They are available at most farm supply stores.

Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:15 pm

Hi Joey

I believe that JPTRACTOR salvage has those slip covers that John is talkng about for $10:00 , you can even get a red and white one. GOOD LUCK Paul K. in N.H.

Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:42 pm


When I built the tricycle I didn't have any seats except for two badly rusted out ones. They were full of holes and looked like doilies. I decided to try a repair with fiberglass thinking I could cover them with the tie on cushions. It worked fine and I still don't have the cushions I got from J.P.'s on yet. They look fine as is.

It won't cost you very much to try it.

Pan seat

Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:51 pm

I thought about covering it up with a seat cover, but I love a challenge of trying to restore something back to its original condition (or close to it). I've read some very interesting and talented repair jobs on this board, and I was hoping someone did a seat crimping job. The seat has a sharp edge where the crimping is gone and may cut the seat cushion. I may take you advice Mr. Willer, and try to give a fiberglass edge to the seat. If it comes out OK, I'll try to post a picture. Thanks for the help!

Re: Pan seat

Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:31 pm

Joey Quebedeaux wrote:I may take you advice Mr. Willer, and try to give a fiberglass edge to the seat.

If you want to give that a try, I would suggest you start with a piece of heavy gage wire to form the edge of the seat. Some sheet metal may help fill in any gap from the remaining seat to the wire. Then use fiberglass to complete the repair.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:35 pm

Good idea, Jim. The wire will add a little beef and some roundness to the edge. I'll let y'all know how it comes out.

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:00 pm

You can purchase K&M seats from Easy Bob's Tractor parts at Tipton IN.

He is a Distributor for them.