154 lo-boy starter

IH CUB LoBoy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your LoBoy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

154 lo-boy starter

Postby justme » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:07 pm

Can someone help me with putting a starter/ring gear on my 154 lo-boy as far as what parts and where to find needed parts. I would love to get rid of the starter/generator combination. Thank you Ron
justme

Postby George Willer » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:45 pm

Ron,

You are talking about two very different animals. The regular Cub flywheel/clutch will bolt right up to your engine, but you will have no way to connect the driveline with its' funky remote clutch. There's a good reason your tractor has the starter/generator.

Let's concentrate instead on making your starter/generator system work as it should. It's a good system.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:58 pm

I'm not very familiar with the number series, but wasn't the 185 basically the same tractor except with a standard starter
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:47 am

John - I believe the 154 and 185 had the starter / generator. The 184 had a standard starter.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com
Bigdog
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 43154
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby EZ » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:07 am

Hmmmm,
CN used a 10HP Briggs engine for different applications. All of the engines had starter generators on them. Sometimes the regulators would be a little combative, but they worked well.

I know for sure that they could fit on a regular Cub, I'll have to check the rotation, but do you think they would turn the crank on a Cub? I'm think they probably will, and would be a good back-up if you had to send your starter away.

I have a couple spares and have been wanting to experiment.

I'm not familiar with the number series either. Does the 154 have the same engine as a regular Cub?
Just Do It !
EZ
501 Club
501 Club

Postby Chris Palmer » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:24 am

Ron,

I aggree with George, fix the orginal starter/generator. My 1977 184 serial #45805 is about 200 units earlier than the conversion to a seperate starter and generator done sometime around Nov. of '77. The unit was bad when I purchased it. A trip to the local auto electric shop ( where I've had other 6 and 12 volt starters and generators rebuilt) cured the problem.

Although there is a place to mount a starter, there is no flywheel. Installing one would be quite a daunting task. My rebuilt starter/generator turns over the engine with ease and starts a properly tuned engine in 2-3 seconds. It also maintains a charge when the electrical system is under max. load with all the lights on bright and electric PTO engaged. Just make sure the belt is tensioned properly.

I paid just under $100 to have the orginal unit totally rebuilt. Well worth the money. Although I have 2 '48 FCUBs which I enjoy, the 184 is my favorite. It has the same C-60 engine, transmission and rear end, amoung other thing as it's grandfathers (the '48s) yet handles and rides so differently, with much more power. Now, if I could only find the 3-point hitch accessory for it........

Just my thoughts,

Chris Palmer
Chris Palmer

starter help

Postby justme » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:17 pm

Thanks to all for the replys , i have had the starter/ generator rebuilt on one of my 154's i have the engine off the other one, thought i would try the conventional starter setup. just a project for this winter. Ron
justme

Return to LoBoy Series - 154, 184, 185