6 Volt wiring question

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Virginia Joe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23005

6 Volt wiring question

Postby Virginia Joe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:43 am

Hello,
I am wiring a 49 cub which I suspect was a 6 volt positive ground machine with distributor but I do not have a 6 volt battery (see wiring diagram below). How can I best start this machine with the 12 volt battery? What would happen if I hooked a 12 volt battery to the system and made it negative ground, would I burn anything up? I really don’t want to purchase a 6 volt battery when all my other machines are 12 volt. Thanks for any and all advice. :mrgreen:
Attachments
wiring diagram.gif

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 6 Volt wiring question

Postby Hengy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:01 pm

As it sits, you could run it for a VERY SHORT TIME with a 12 v battery, but if you want to do it permanently, you are going to have to change to an alternator (or 12V Generator and Voltage Regulator) and also change the coil to a 12 volt coil. The headlight bulbs will need to be replaced as well...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:52 pm

If it starts and starts charging then the cutout will close and may burn from the 12v going into a 6 v gen. If you want to start on 12 volts then remove the bat wire from the regulator. Long term will still need to do the rest that MikeinWisconsin said.

Virginia Joe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Virginia Joe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks Gentlemen. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear. I will disconnect the BAT connection from the regulator, isolating the 12 volts to only the starter. What I’m hearing is that if the generator, coil and regulator are working properly, the tractor should run without being hooked up to a battery. I’ll give it a try.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Caveat:
Since you posted the wiring diagram for a 2 brush with a regulator you should be OK disconnecting the BAT terminal on the regulator. If you have a cutout only with a 3 brush gen then the gen will need a load or you will also have to disconnect the field terminal from the gen.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:18 pm

Since you say you have a '49 and don't indicate any known modifications, I assume it has a cut-out charging system, a magneto ignition and you simply posted the wrong wiring diagram. If so, disconnect the field wire from the generator. Leave the lights off while you have the 12-volt battery connected.

Virginia Joe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Virginia Joe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks for all the great advice. The tractor is a 49 (87604) that I recently acquired and I don’t know how many alterations have been made or heard it run. It does not have a cutout regulator instead it’s a stand-alone unit attached to a plate under the generator. It does have a distributor and coil. The setup looks similar to the diagram. I’m not sure if the generator has two or three brushes, how could I tell? For the price of a 6 volt battery however, I would be tempted to convert to 12 volt but for now I simply want to hear it run and only have 12 volt battary. Thanks for the great discussion. :D

PS I looked carefully at the generator itself and discovered it does have the screwholes of were a cutout use to be. Apparently that went bad and they installed the current regulator below the generator.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:52 pm

To be safe, disconnect both wires from the generator. Tape the loose wire ends back so they don't get caught on or contact anything. Keep track of which goes where for when you hook them back up. You will be OK then to try it out with a 12-volt battery. Before you run it much on 12 volts, you will need to put a ballast resistor in the ignition circuit.

Virginia Joe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Virginia Joe » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:12 am

Thanks Jim. I think what I’m reading is to disconnect the F wire and the Gen wire from the regulator and install a resistor just before the negative terminal of the coil. Is that correct? I’m not going to burn up my regulator am I? Do you happen to know the NAPA number of the resistor I need to install or one that is equivalent? Thanks so very much to everyone!

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:39 am

Joe - just ask for a dropping resistor for Chrysler vehicles. With the generator field connection removed the fields are ungrounded and there will be no output from the generator. You won't burn anything up.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Virginia Joe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Virginia Joe » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:08 am

Bigdog, thank you, I do see a light at the end of this tunnel. When I spoke with NAPA they said they have three resistors that meet your description, they are:
• ICR11 which is 1.35 ohms @ $5.49
• ICR13 which has 1.82 ohms @ 12.49 or
• ICR23 which has 1.20 Ohms @ $5.49
Which one would you suggest I purchase? I suspect with this wiring setup, the tractor will run as long as the 12 volt battary has a charge? Thanks again to all for the great advice.
:mrgreen:

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:12 am

ICR11 will work fine.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Virginia Joe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Virginia Joe » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Hello All,
I just wanted to give you an quick update. By way of summary, I received an old 49 which hadn’t run in years and the last owner got it not working and never had time to get it running 8) . Since I don’t have a 6-volt battery, I needed a way to use a 12 battery on a 6-volt machine that had a distributor. Well thanks to you all, I got it running today and took it for a test ride :D . The electrical problem was solved by installing a $6.00 resister between the kill switch and the coil and removing the F wire from the generator to regulator. I know I will have to do something permanent shortly but this was a quick and inexpensive way to see if it would run, if the regulator was any good and if I wanted to invest more time and effort into this machine. A 12 volt conversion is likely in the cards. Thanks again to all. :mrgreen: