This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Should I install new valves?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Should I install new valves?

Postby thiggy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:34 pm

TST, is a slap hammer the same thing as a slide hammer?
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:12 pm

yup, same thing

fl37
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 96021
Tractors Owned: 2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Postby fl37 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:12 pm

Virginia Joe wrote:Thanks for the advice and it’s good to know the valve guides are not likely the cause of the engine smoking.

My dilemma is, since I’m not grinding the valve seats: do I use the old valves, which appear okay or install the new valves. I’m afraid the new valves and worn seats will not match as well as the old valves and therefore I’d be better off using the old valves. In either case i plan to lap the valves.

It would be interesting to know where I could buy a valve seat grinding tool that would allow me to grind the block in my garage. I thought I saw one once that used a pilot stem, which went into the valve guides and then allowed you to drop a sanding tool over the valve seats. Does anyone know where I can get one of those?

Neway valve seat cutter will do the job. Search this site on "Neway" to find details including which cutter size to use.

Return to “Farmall Cub”