This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Voltage Regulator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Voltage Regulator

Postby Harold R » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:42 pm

In the ongoing effort to bring my '74 up to some sort of originality, the voltage regulator that was on the tractor when I got it does not appear to be original. The's no part number on it, and, it seems to be short a couple of connections. Would a standard 12v reg for a Chevy, circa 60's work? This is what was on it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:24 pm

Not sure I can answer this properly, but it just looks like a run of the mill regulator to me. I know the generator is a bit special because it runs at lower rpm's than a car, but the regulator merely cuts the excess amperage to ground once the battery is 'full' I have seen cross references to off the shelf regulators, but didn't need one so didn't pay too much attention.
My guess is that NAPA or any good parts place can find the right one in a catalog. About $25 is my guess.
Also I have found ignition and electrical parts to be reasonably priced at a dealer (C&G).
When I had the generator cleaned and overhauled I took the regulator too and he did set it correctly. It should have 2 screws that hold the top on. He also painted that too. Got a decent before and after shot here:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 5d6421.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 8c830b.jpg
Only the wires and cap are new.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:48 pm

hr, i found a new replacement through John at JP Tractor for my '59...probably the same.. I think TM Tractor and Carter and Gruenewald sell them too. They are about $35.
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:30 pm

AZ Mike, I've asked Tom at TM where I got the 12v gen, and he didn't have any. I'll try JP's if I can't find a match at a local parts store. I have shopped the websites of the major parts house and have spotted several that look correct. However, I'm a dummy when it come to this DC voltage regulation. Q. Is a voltage regulator specific? 6 or 12 volt?

BW, thanks for those pictures, that helps a lot. Nice transformation.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:36 pm

Have you tried Case IH? I have 2 original 6V regulators that I hope work. By the way I believe all Farmall tractors of a given age would have the same gen and reg on them. My Cub and H are both close in year and have the exact same.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:10 am

hr's49cub wrote:Q. Is a voltage regulator specific? 6 or 12 volt?

Yes. They each regulate to a specific voltage.

Return to “Farmall Cub”