getting ready for parade

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

getting ready for parade

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:53 pm

The brother and sister that have adopted me as Grandpa came over to decorate a trailer for the local Christmas parade, which is a night time parade. I was helping Scrivet put his cub back together, and showed them the pile of garland and lights and let them have at it. I think they used approximately 16 strands of light, plus 6 strands of tinsel garland on a 4x8 trailer. Not sure if they will be able to see out of it. :lol: A couple days before I had built the wooden frame out of bean poles we no longer used.

If you will look closely in the first picture you will notice it is hooked to the front hitch of my cub. That is the way I plan to drive it in the parade, using it the entire rout. 8)

I had trouble getting my digital camera to focus clearly on the lights, they kept coming out blurry. I finally realized the problem was the LED lights apparently run off low voltage ac or dc provided by a half wave rectifier resulting in pulsing dc, and were actually flickering very rapidly which was affecting the auto focus on my camera. I solved the focus problem by aiming the camera at another object the same distance away and pressing the shutter button half way down which triggered the auto focus, then while holding the button half way I aimed at the trailer and finished pressing the shutter button.
Last edited by John *.?-!.* cub owner on Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RogerW
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

Re: getting ready for parade

Postby RogerW » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:11 pm

You planing on backing in the parade, or pushing the float? Either way would be different from usual. The float will sure be easy to spot.
I take it you use a small generator to power it.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ricky racer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:21 pm

RogerW wrote:I take it you use a small generator to power it.

I was thinking, wow, he must have a long extension cord!! :lol: :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:24 pm

I will be pushing the float. Makes it easier to watch the kids since I have pretty bad arthritis in my neck and shoulders. It is powered by a 1250 watt Powermate generator. Not as quiet as the Honda quiet line, but a whole lot cheaper.

oldhammerhead
Zip Code: 66111
Tractors Owned: 1928 McCormick Deering 10-20,1949 Cub.

Postby oldhammerhead » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:10 am

John please show better pictures of front hitch set up! thanks.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:29 am

oldhammerhead wrote:John please show better pictures of front hitch set up! thanks.
I can get some later today, but Rick Prentice started making them, but has stopped, now Barnyard gets them made at a local shop for the people wanting them. It attaches by removing the 2 bolts that clamp the center pivot pin for the font axle, then fits over where they were and use 2 longer grade 5 or 8 bolts to attach. It is a square tube that accepts a standard 2 inch hitch, and also has a loop underneath to use as a tie down point when hauling. Very handy item, especially since I have so much arthritis in my neck, shoulders, and back that looking behind me enough to back something is very difficult. I even have one on my loader rig, though the hitch is pretty useless on it. Makes tying down on a trailer much handier though.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:16 pm

cecildew
Zip Code: 21921
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Case SC

Postby cecildew » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:12 pm

I would love to have a front hitch like that. I see that you say Barnyard gets them made, would you guys be willing to ship one to Maryland. How much would something like that cost?
1948 Farmall Cub
- McCormick Cub-22 Mower
- McCormick Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
- McCormick Cub-54 Leveling & Grader Blade
1948 Case SC

offrink
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:39 pm

I picked one up and have barely used it but like it so far!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:00 pm

Cecildew, If you PM Barnyard, he can give you the cost and shipping info.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

UK-Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: LA9

Postby UK-Cub » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:46 pm

Scrivet wrote:
Randy Tuura wrote:However you attach to the tractor to tow (I don't understand attaching to the towbar to start it in 3rd gear)............
Still pulling it forward but the chain runs between front wheels and under tractor back to the drawbar and is attached there. NEVER throw a chain around the front axle and pull, to easy to break an engine ear.

I don't get how this clever device is not the same as towing from the front axle. The load is still putting the front engine ears in tension?

David
David

1956 Lister D stationary engine
1957 French Cub
2012 Land Rover Defender 110 double cab pick up

Every day is a school day

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" Confucius

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:56 pm

UK-Cub wrote: The load is still putting the front engine ears in tension?

Not really. When used as a hitch, you are pushing the trailer, so the ears will be in compression. When used as a tie down, there is some forward force vector that puts tension on the ear, but most of it is downward, which puts the joint in shear.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

UK-Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: LA9

Postby UK-Cub » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:59 pm

Gotcha, OK so long as you are pushing not pulling.

David
David

1956 Lister D stationary engine
1957 French Cub
2012 Land Rover Defender 110 double cab pick up

Every day is a school day

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" Confucius

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:57 pm

I worried about such as that, but I never move anything very heavy, or over rough terrain or obstacles, plus when I realized how much stress my Wagner loader puts on a front end I decide the front ends were strong enough to handle a lot if you were careful.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:03 pm

UK-Cub wrote:I don't get how this clever device is not the same as towing from the front axle. The load is still putting the front engine ears in tension?

David

Potentially it is. There was a fairly long discussion of this question when the front hitch was being designed and initially built. I think that hitch on the front is too strong of a temptation to hook a chain to when pulling the tractor or using the tractor to pull something else. I would feel a lot better about it if there were a chain under a bit of tension connecting the loop of this thing to the rear drawbar.