This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is the oil pump pickup suppose to swivel on a 1944 Farmall A

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
claystroup
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48003

Is the oil pump pickup suppose to swivel on a 1944 Farmall A

Postby claystroup » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:46 pm

I was given a 1944 Farmall A by my father in law 2 weeks ago and have begun to do PM on it to try and get it in good running order. On Sunday I drained the engine oil which was some of the worst looking oil/sludge I have ever seen in my 57 years. My father in law purchased the tractor last May at an auction for $600 so he has no service history on it. I have put 2-3 hours run time on it since and it runs pretty good for its age. So after draining the oil I put the drain plug back in and poured a gallon of diesel fuel in and let it sit over night. I drained it tonight and it came out black. Stuck my little finger in the drain hole to see if I could feel any sludge/etc. I felt the screen on the oil pump pickup tube and I was able to push it up about 3/4" like it was on a swivel. Is this normal or should it not move?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Is the oil pump pickup suppose to swivel on a 1944 Farmall A

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:10 pm

Normal. It is intended to float on top of the oil and avoid whatever settles to the bottom.

claystroup
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48003

Re: Is the oil pump pickup suppose to swivel on a 1944 Farmall A

Postby claystroup » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:24 pm

Thanks for the info on the pivoting oil pump pickup. I didn't really feel like dropping the oil pan if I didn't have to - Clay

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”