This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Right Hand Final Drive Rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Right Hand Final Drive Rebuild

Postby Glen » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:45 pm

Hi,
Dale, in his pics at his first post on page 1 of this post, it looks like he has the retainer, and just needs a new seal to put in it.

IHCFan1950
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 71119
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (Barn fire survivor) "Ruthie"
1951 Farmall Cub
1990 Kubota L2250

Postby IHCFan1950 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:59 pm

My apologies. Glen is right. I was not reading carefully enough. Yes I do have a RETAINER. I just didn’t know if the RETAINER and SEAL were one piece or could be had as one piece like the opposite side. But yes I am after a seal or the retainer with the seal already installed and staked. I will get a seal and loctite it into place as already suggested.
If you own 1 tractor you have a interest
If you own 2 tractors you have a hobby
If you own 3 tractors you have an addiction
Anything over that..well your incurable! :lol:

1950 Cub (barn fire survivor) Ruthie
1951 Cub no name yet
1991 Kubota L2250
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:14 pm

OK! Hope it works out! :D

The only seal/retainer I've had problems reusing are SOME of the rear axle seal/retainers. Some of the original seals are almost impossible to get out without deforming the retainer (they can usually be straightened back, though).

And then some of the aftermarket ones are one unit, and the seal doesn't come out.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:25 pm

Hi,
The seal is just a press fit in the retainer in your first pics, I think. I don't think it is staked in the retainer.
You could put some sealer on the OD of the new seal, but it should fit tight in the old retainer.

IHCFan1950 wrote: I just didn’t know if the RETAINER and SEAL were one piece or could be had as one piece like the opposite side.

I'm not sure what you mean by "one piece like the opposite side."
The left final drive inner side has a cap over the end of the lower axle, and no oil seal.

Maybe you meant the outer seals by the wheel hubs, the newer style retainers there have the oil seal made on them, so they are like one piece.

IHCFan1950
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 71119
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (Barn fire survivor) "Ruthie"
1951 Farmall Cub
1990 Kubota L2250

Postby IHCFan1950 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:09 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
Maybe you meant the outer seals by the wheel hubs, the newer style retainers there have the oil seal made on them, so they are like one piece.

Yes! Just got a replacement seal on my way home from work. It actually should not need any Loctite as it seems as if it will be a plenty snug fit. Will be going on with that this weekend. I do apologize for the confusion. Part of it stems from not knowing the official terminology as well as trying to post pictures and ask questions on the fly. Working full time with the clock dictating my life tends to leave me a bit tired and exhausted so again, I do apologize if I seemed to have been so scattered earlier. From now on, I will slow myself down and concentrate more on what I am attempting to write rather than multitask. I greatly appreciate the responses and help from everyone. This is truly a treasure of a forum that I am glad to be a part of.
If you own 1 tractor you have a interest
If you own 2 tractors you have a hobby
If you own 3 tractors you have an addiction
Anything over that..well your incurable! :lol:

1950 Cub (barn fire survivor) Ruthie
1951 Cub no name yet
1991 Kubota L2250
Circle of Safety