This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Your NUTS n bolts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar
Circle of Safety: Y

Your NUTS n bolts

Postby BullDAWG » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:52 pm

Just a question about nuts, bolts and carriage bolts.

On most of my implements for both the cub and SA I own have both regular nuts and bolts AND square head nuts and bolts. Most of the regular (hex head) bolts and nuts look to be replacements while the square appear to be original.

I know the square headed ones are easier to use a crecent wrench on em but why did they change em on newer equipment. Does anyone know when the change was made? And is there any difference between old implement carriage bolts and new ones??? Most of the new ones are all thread to almost all thread where as the stock IH ones have a square mushroom head and only 1-2" of thread vs newer ones that are round mushroom head and all thread. My biggest concern is if the factory ones were grade 5 or 8 and the new ones are not even graded will things like coulters and brackets on implements that used carriage bolts fail using these new bolts??? I don't see any markings on old or new carrage bolts like they do on bolts. On new bolts they have 3 lines for grade 5 and six lines on bolt heads for grade 8. But on carriage bolts I've never seen any grade markings.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Your NUTS n bolts

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Check with your local tractor dealerships, they usually carry higher grade carriage bolts.
I have an excuse. CRS.

olebluegrassboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42378
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub, 55 Farmall 100, 35 10-20 mc cormick

Re: Your NUTS n bolts

Postby olebluegrassboy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:33 pm

We buy grade 8 carriage bolts at work, they do have the six lines on the head. I think they come from Mac Master Carr.
Dale
"It's better to regret the things you've done than the things you didn't do."
Still can't help to think "Wish I hadn't of done that!"

Return to “Farmall Cub”