This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Why voltage regulators fail

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Re: Why voltage regulators fail

Postby Gary S. » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:06 pm

I think DickB is on to something-The coils seemed fine, and that's all there is to the VRs. In the past I tried to save VRs, being accidentally on the right path, by dressing up the points.
I have a theory- it comes from trouble with ignition points. Years ago the contacts were solid,new points are plated - saving money. Maybe the voltage spikes are arcing the points damaging them? where as the older ones could handle those surges better?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:11 pm

The voltage regulators IH used have what amounts to 2 coils below the voltage regulator contacts. It will limit both voltage and current. Details are in one of the documents in the PDF Manuals. I don't remember the title and am not going to look for it right now.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:42 pm

I did take electricity in high school, as well as electronics in college and made my living as an electronics technician. 25 years of which was spent working for the local phone company maintaining the offices, data circuits, and fiber equipment. Part of that 25 years we still had electro-mechanical (stepper) switches that were thousands and thousands of relays. In that time I learned that contacts become pitted from contamination such as dust or oil, even oil from hands. A second cause, and the most likely one in this case Is the relay being out of adjustment or the points not lining up correctly and wiping as the close. A third cause can be poor quality materials.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:53 am

Jim Becker wrote:The voltage regulators IH used have what amounts to 2 coils below the voltage regulator contacts. It will limit both voltage and current. Details are in one of the documents in the PDF Manuals. I don't remember the title and am not going to look for it right now.

I'd be interested in reading that, should you ever find it.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:48 am

Jim Becker wrote:The voltage regulators IH used have what amounts to 2 coils below the voltage regulator contacts. It will limit both voltage and current. Details are in one of the documents in the PDF Manuals. I don't remember the title and am not going to look for it right now.
Are you thinking of GSS-1012 Electrical Equipment 4-27-55?
Manuals
Service Manuals
Blue Ribbon Service Manuals
GSS-1012 Electrical Equipment /// Current-Voltage Regulator Principles of Operation starts on page 20.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:52 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I did take electricity in high school,..............
Taught by Ben Franklin.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:24 am

Replaceable points for the VR are not practical, as I see it. Sticking here with the USA made VR and the battery maintainer...I don't see a better choice.

Maybe Ben Franklin or John *.?-!.* or TooCoolOne58 can explain how those coils of wire (thin wire at core, heavy wire outside) pop those contacts up and down.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:11 am

Scrivet wrote:
Are you thinking of GSS-1012 Electrical Equipment 4-27-55?
Manuals
Service Manuals
Blue Ribbon Service Manuals
GSS-1012 Electrical Equipment /// Current-Voltage Regulator Principles of Operation starts on page 20.

I was actually thinking of GSS-1310 (about page 41) but I think GSS-1012 has the same explanation (or maybe a shorter version).

DickB wrote:. . . Maybe Ben Franklin or John *.?-!.* or TooCoolOne58 can explain how those coils of wire (thin wire at core, heavy wire outside) pop those contacts up and down.

Either of the above sources.

xraycajun
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70769

Postby xraycajun » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:01 am

I will soon experiment with Brillman's 6 volt positive ground alternator. My hope is that it will provide more reliable charging without having to reverse polarity or change to a 12 volt system. I will be taking pics through the entire procedure and I plan to post a thread on it. I couldn't find much on the 6 volt positive ground alternators for tractor applications, but the Model T guys seem to be very pleased with them. They even mention the their headlights burn brighter, too... in spite of the fact they are only running6 volts! We shall see!

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:21 am

DickB wrote:Replaceable points for the VR are not practical, as I see it. Sticking here with the USA made VR and the battery maintainer...I don't see a better choice.

Maybe Ben Franklin or John *.?-!.* or TooCoolOne58 can explain how those coils of wire (thin wire at core, heavy wire outside) pop those contacts up and down.

It's TallCoolOne, as in frosty adult beverage as a personal reward for accomplishing my goals for the day.

It's simple, really. Current flow is used to energize a magnet. The magnet's attraction to metal-or another magnet-is used to overcome spring tension.

Simple basic explanation would be a cut-out relay. No current (tractor off, kill switch pushed in). Spring tension used to hold points open, so the battery is disconnected from the generator to prevent battery discharge. Tractor on, current flow, magnet energized, magnet powerful enough to overcome spring tension, attracts to metal and forces points closed, allowing current flow between generator and battery.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:49 am

Lets do the cutout. The operation of the cut out depends on which apparatus, battery or generator has the highest voltage. There are two coils of wire in the cutout.

Generator charging higher than the battery voltage, one coil of wire magnetizes and closes the points sending current to the battery.

Shut off the tractor, battery voltage is now higher than the generator. This causes the smaller coil to magnetize in the opposite direction of the larger coil, countering/negating the residual magnetism in the larger coil. Spring controlling the contacts open - no current flow.
I have an excuse. CRS.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:35 pm

I knew there was a reason (not kidding here) I flunked out of engineering school.

PS: Thank God there's the humanities.

Don B.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25314
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub (looks pretty)
1951 Cub (does the work)
1952 Cub (sold)

Postby Don B. » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:41 pm

Not to hijack this, but since cut outs were mentioned, I put a solid state cut out on my 1948 Cub partly because a cut out is what it came with and partly because it was 20 bucks. My Cub is 6 volt positive ground - with pretty much the original set up.
It seems to be doing just fine.
https://brillman.com/product/universal-electronic-cutout-relay/
By the way, I am a little 'electronically challenged' to say the least.
20170408_142758small.jpg
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:21 pm

I have installed and know of others who have installed regulators from NAPA, and have not heard of anyone complaining of a failure.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482

Postby halftonstude » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:48 pm

Wow lots of interesting information. Thanks tallcoolone. I'm an EE at a "mother" of a telephone company, and one of my specializations is batteries - all technologies you can think of (and some that are simply amazing). So much truth here, but there are so many different chargers out there, and as soon as you add the word "smart" to any of them (charger, maintainer, power supply, what have you) it becomes a different animal. I made my own maintainer for my generator, a 13.8 kw diesel that has a 14 year old starting battery, just a simple exide 1 amp charger (trickle i think most people here are calling it) plugged into a wall light timer, 30 minutes twice a day, that's it. Voltage Regulators on the other hand are wonderful devices, i have a couple vehicles that have them (51 IH R120, 53 stude 2R5, 2 relay, 3 relay) and the liklihood of a generator putting out much current at all at idle speed is very very low. Most auto manufacturers had options for either high output or low cut-in generators, but rarely anything happens at idle, the generator just isn't spinning fast enough. And if you go back into the 50's, nobody had an external charger to finish forming their battery when they bought it, it got put in the equipment and away it went!
Terminology in the business also varies by business. In our world, "float" is the voltage that is applied to a battery to provide an absolute minimum of charge to a battery to prevent self discharge. In the lead acid world it is usually the specific gravity + .854 + .1 volts. Lower than that and the negative plates don't receive enough polarization, higher than that and gassing starts to increase and the positive plates oxidize faster than they need to (which is the usual mode of failure of long life batteries - we keep ours 40 years sometimes...) The VR adjustments are not digitally controlled, requires bending of armatures and tightening of springs and is better than hap hazard, but takes some time to get nailed down, but when you change the RPM of the generator, you're going to get different results. This is one of those times "close enough" has to work, because if your battery is going to last 8 years (ya get what ya pay for, look for it in the warantee) it's going to last that long with some care, but there are variables that don't affect it that much. Are you going to make your starting battery last 30 years by adjusting the VR to charge the battery at 13.524 versus 13.500? nope. it wont' matter that much.
Hope I haven't confused too much, i start rambling at times, this looks to be one of those times... I will add one thing to Tallcoolone's comment, batteries do what they're designed to do. Lead acid batteries take deep discharges very well, if they're designed to do so. Starting batteries are very thin plate batteries, designed to have high capacitive value, and can get rid of their current quickly (lots of surface area) and are not meant to be discharged deeply. Telephone batteries, however, are the complete opposite. Similar to trolloing motor batteries. Very very thick plates designed for deep long duration discharges, over and over. With proper maintenance and proper use, batteries will last. I regularly see batteries still in service from the early 80's. I expect my generator starting battery will go soon, chemistry is fickle. If you're not sulfating you're oxidizing. If you're not charging, you're stratifying and hydrating... the best we can do is to pick a point that will minimize all the bad stuff as best we can!