This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tire Chains

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Tire Chains

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Well, I gotta admit, you boys had me a little nervous about my tire chains ending up between the tire lugs and being worthless for snow plowing. 1957 Farmall Cub, 8.3 x 24 Ag tires.

Don't know what brand they are, but put them on (fit very well), but large rings across lugs and ain't NO WAY. they're getting stuck between the lugs.

On the other hand, that baby rides like Fred Flintstones car, not exactly Cadillac smooth. :D
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Tire Chains

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Your using the double ring cross link tire chains. Rough ride till there in snow. With the duo cross ice bar links I use extra cross links. With and tire chains don’t forget the wheel weights.

My ideal setup for my fcub,lo Boy first rear tire chains, dual wheel weights, front single or dual weights for better steering. Hydra turn on the plow a big plus.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dusty B » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:10 pm

used to have a set of modified chains - made them up from a set of auto chains w/the Vbar lugs plus 1/2 of an extra chain cut to length! worked great, had no trouble going between lugs as long as I kept them tight! These for my Super A are brutes! Just need to get the blade polished up so the snow will slide off. Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:34 pm

BigBill wrote:Your using the double ring cross link tire chains. Rough ride till there in snow. With the duo cross ice bar links I use extra cross links. With and tire chains don’t forget the wheel weights.

My ideal setup for my fcub,lo Boy first rear tire chains, dual wheel weights, front single or dual weights for better steering. Hydra turn on the plow a big plus.

Got the the rear weights and chains (came with). Bought the front wheel weights extra (knew they'd help for steering), bought new skid shoes, old ones were whipped. But, thank ya. No stranger to plowing here, trust me.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Oswego,ny your in the northeast snow belt. My camp in vt is inline with you we can get three feet of snow in a night.

When I explain how to setup for plowing snow I try to cover everything for newbies too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:36 pm

BigBill wrote:Oswego,ny your in the northeast snow belt. My camp in vt is inline with you we can get three feet of snow in a night.

When I explain how to setup for plowing snow I try to cover everything for newbies too.

You know it brother, it's snowing out now, 3rd winter storm warning this week, and it's only mid-November. Deer season starts Saturday, oughtta be some great huntin'. Stay warm up there.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 pm

I’m at home in ct. my son was building cabins and sheds on my land in vt. My land borders on two sides of the national forest. I own a piece of heaven. I hope he has plenty of firewood cut. Warmth is the biggest thing.