This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Magnetic Block Heaters

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mbuckley
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 56277
Tractors Owned: New Holland TC25D
Ford Jubilee

Magnetic Block Heaters

Postby mbuckley » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:42 pm

I see that some of you use magnetic block heaters on your tractors in the winter and I'm curious what size ones you have had success with. I see you can buy them from 50 watts all the way to 1000 watts and I'm curious what size seems to work the best on your cubs and other tractors.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Re: Magnetic Block Heaters

Postby DickB » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:42 pm

I've used a 200w magnetic heater on the bottom of the oil pan. No problem turning over even with non-detergent 30w oil--just leave it on long enough to warm things up. My heater is by Kat's. Had it for 7 years now and before that another one for probably as many years...that one I crunched under the tires. Got to remember to take it off the oil pan before going out into the snow.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Peter Person » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:50 pm

I’ve had the same 200w unit by Kat’s since 2005. Seems to do the job just fine and when I replaced the oil pan gasket a few years later, there were no burn marks.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:07 pm

I used the dip stick heater on my gravely tractor decades ago. I think a oil / block heater is good. Run thinner wt winter oil as the cub owner manual says.

Food for info........sharing experience and info.

I went to an older gravely dealer with a spun rod bearing.(used machine I purchased) to find out the cause. The oil in the winter time doesn’t circulate till it gets hot and makes its way through the oil filter and back to the crank pin. Old timers installed a oil bypass line from the pump to the return line to the crank.

Log splitter gauges,

When installing a pressure gauge on a log splitter we install a smaller pipe plug before the gauge and put a small hole in it. This way when the pressure change jumps you won’t give the gauge the full hit of the pressure it softens it.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ricky racer » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:51 pm

I don't use a block heater, run 10w-30 motor oil and a 6 volt system and have never had any issues with my '53 turning over, even in sub-zero weather. She spins right over and always fires up. She's a little cold blooded and needs to warm up a bit before she starts plowing though... :mrgreen:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub