This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Planter parts.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DANWV
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26719

Planter parts.

Postby DANWV » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:08 pm

Hello all. It's been a couple years since I have been on here. What I have going on is this, I recently acquired the majority of a mounted planter for my 53 Cub.
From the research I have been doing I believe I have the combination hopper drive. I also have the fertilizer attachment as well. The parts I am missing are the important ones. The combination hopper and the fertilizer hopper.
How do I tell if I have a 172 or a 174 model?
I would like to get this planter operational and maybe plant some corn one of these days.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Re: Planter parts.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:48 pm

Hey...there is a manual section with info on the planters on this site.

You can find both hoppers on eBay or folks might have them here.

What are you planting? Do you have seed plates?

DANWV
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DANWV » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:39 am

Well I am wanting to try to plant some heirloom corn. It's called "Bloody Butcher".
I live in WV and I have been interested in old grist mills for some time now, especially those in WV.
Last spring I was down in the southern part of the state on a weekend getaway visiting a couple of these old mills, and I got the pleasure of meeting the owner on "Reeds Mill" in Second creek WV. Feller's name is Larry Mustain and the mill has been in his family for over a hundred years and it is the oldest continually operating mill in the US. Over 200 years. Larry and his family have been growing the same strain of Bloody Butcher corn for over a hundred years on their family farm.
Larry is well into his golden years and cannot keep the mill going and the corn raised. I guess his family like most others today choose not to farm or raise crops. I had a great visit with Larry and it kind of inspired me to want to keep this strain going.

I am 50 years old and things like this are for some reason becoming more important to me that they be preserved for future generations. Like me I kinda hope at least one person will appreciate the importance of heirloom/non GMO crops like this. I am opening a small batch distillery in my home town and I thought this would be a great crop to make some shine out of for it's organic heritage and the story of it's origin.
I have been doing a lot of reading and I know I have a lot of learning to do on the subject of growing heirloom/organic grains.
Larry has been grinding the corn the last couple of years on smaller electric powered mills as his mill needs some major work on the turbine that once powered it and the mill race needs a lot of attention as well. There was once over 20 different mills on Second Creek. Sawmills and grist mills mostly. Kills me that places like this cannot get funding to preserve it's history and it's importance to the area. It has been added to the WV historical preservation society so maybe Larry can get some help. It is 4 hours away from me.

The 1953 Cub I have belonged to my grandfather and he bought it new. He got several attachments with it but not the planter.
I am slowly gaining pieces of farm equipment as I go. Everything I have is old but it still works.
I have the 53 Cub,
A 50 Farmall C,
and last spring I bought a 69 544 rowcrop narrow front. Biggest tractor I have ever owned.
I am not a farmer by any means and do not claim to be, at least not yet. The ground I am planning on working is right beside my home and it was at one time in my family. I hope to purchase it someday and it would be back where it belongs.
This is my thinking anyway. Whether it works out........well, I guess we will just have to see.

DANWV
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DANWV » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:50 pm

[img]
planter-3-1.jpg
[/img]

Here is a picture of the hopper mount and drive that I have.
planter-1-1.jpg
Attachments
planter-3-1.jpg

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:36 pm

the drive unit you have is for the duplex hopper, they are not very common, seed plates are not easy to find for one either and did not have many choices of seed plates, you may want to consider a combination or Richmond hopper as the plates are common and they are easier to come by, you would need a different drive unit

DANWV
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DANWV » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:44 pm

tst,
You are right on the Duplex hopper. I said I had the combination hopper for some reason. I have found one or two duplex hoppers for sale but they are kinda pricey.

liquid plumber
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 55014
eBay ID: blubberhunter2
Tractors Owned: 1947 mccormic farmall cub
1965 farmall cub w/ fasthitch and wagner loader
1974 cub cadet
howard rotavater and gear reducer
fasthitch plow
fasthitch disc
fasthitch snowblower ( in the works)
woods 42 mower
Richmond planter w/ fertilizer attachment.
cultivator.

Postby liquid plumber » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:48 pm

hello Liquid Plumber here.Is there any way to get some of that corn seed ? is it for sweet corn , non gmo is something that would be great up here in Mn. thanks, Chris
Christopher Milow
,getting to Know Jesus
better as my Friend every day
I thank him for his love and grace
:thanx:

Return to “Farmall Cub”