This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Winter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Winter

Postby ricky racer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:49 pm

:bellylaugh: :bellylaugh:

It's supposed to be 54 degrees by Monday!! That's +54 degrees :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:24 pm

Shane Nelson wrote:Question for y'all that live in the really cold parts......how deep do you bury a water line and how do you keep your water lines from freezing where they come in the house? We have a heater in our well house and leave our water running at the faucet when it gets below 28 degrees.

Frost line is about 48 inches here for code on footings.
That does not mean a water line four feet below won't freeze if you plow above it to keep it cleared off and drive on it a lot....
Well pipe comes in low on the basement wall. Ground temp helps keep basement above freezing , but the furnace down there does so more.

My shack has a floor register and it's duct below the sink on one bathroom near an exterior wall. Supply lines come through insulated wall instead of the floor....I'd rather through the floor , but I didn't plumb it.
Another sink along an exterior wall I just prop a door open a little under it on real cold nights. Though it has not shown signs of freezing in the past decade.
The rest of the plumbing is away from exteriors.

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:21 am

ricky racer wrote:
Donegal Cub wrote:Ricky do you partially block off your radiator to keep your Cub warm when you’re working her in temperatures that low?
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

No, I've never had to nor felt the need to do that. In the colder weather like this it takes about 10 or 15 minutes before it starts running really well (like normal). Maybe adding a restriction to the radiator would shorten up the warm up time but I'm just to lazy to do it. :lol:

I hang a bit of fabric over the mesh when I’m warming the Cub in the garage in low winter temperatures. Years ago when working my old Ferguson petrol/tvo in winter conditions I kept the radiator partially blocked off all the time, because when running on the tvo she needed to operate at high temperatures.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:30 am

Local codes dictate frost line depth requirements. 42" - 48" deep here is fine for water lines. The biggest risk is generally places with crawl spaces. The pipes are put in the crawlspace which isn't heated. I have PEX in my crawlspace, which is a little more forgiving. Copper pipes transfer heat very quickly and seem to freeze and bust sooner than PEX.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:51 am

Residents of Kalamazoo and Portage are being told to run a pencil stream of water for the next several weeks. There have been freeze ups even though pipes are below the traditional frost line. We have a few cold days each winter but hanging on for this length I can't remember and I am 78. The snow actually insulates the ground a bit but this length of time it doesn't help much. Most government offices are still closed but they could be opened. I believe we are to get mail today. Gas problem over. Warmer soon. Vern

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:00 am

One of my coworkers just sent me a video of water pouring through his kitchen ceiling this morning. Apparently a pipe froze and burst, but didn't start flowing water until it warmed up enough. I suspect a lot of people are going to get some surprises as the temperatures moderate this weekend.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:19 am

Fear not! Punxsutawney Phil did NOT see his shadow, there will be an early spring!
:{_}: :{_}: :{_}:
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:25 am

I read where he's been right only 39% of the time. Don't put your snow shovel away yet!
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:49 am

Urbish wrote:One of my coworkers just sent me a video of water pouring through his kitchen ceiling this morning. Apparently a pipe froze and burst, but didn't start flowing water until it warmed up enough. I suspect a lot of people are going to get some surprises as the temperatures moderate this weekend.

......I suspect you are EXACTLY right
get er done; life is good

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:43 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:I read where he's been right only 39% of the time. Don't put your snow shovel away yet!

You’ve got to take good news where you can get it. ;)

I’ve been outside today wire brushing an old grader blade assembly off prepping it for paint.
Two days ago I had the turbo heater cranked in the barn making it about 55 degrees.
Wire brushing in there made a horrible mess with dust everywhere. It’s a job to be done outside but not at 7 degrees. Today it’s 31 and feels balmy so wearing carhartts im getting it done. Monday and Tuesday it’s supposed to be in the upper 50’s so I’ll paint it all then.
I’ll give the groundhog credit for that opportunity.
:hattip:
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:18 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:
Donegal Cub wrote:Ricky do you partially block off your radiator to keep your Cub warm when you’re working her in temperatures that low?
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

I block off 80 to 90% of the radiator and it works well, significantly reducing condensation in the crankcase.

Bill

You're probably right if your plowing session is somewhat short. If it only takes you 20-30 minutes to clear your driveway, your tractor never really get a chance to really warm up and get rid of the moisture (kind of like they say a short drive to work is harder on your car than a longer drive). My plowing sessions are usually about 1-1/2 hours long, more if I do the neighbors too. That extended plowing time, I believe gives my Cub ample time to dry out and rid itself of moisture. My oil and dip stick are always clean.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:48 pm

ricky racer wrote:
Bill Hudson wrote:
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

I block off 80 to 90% of the radiator and it works well, significantly reducing condensation in the crankcase.

Bill

You're probably right if your plowing session is somewhat short. If it only takes you 20-30 minutes to clear your driveway, your tractor never really get a chance to really warm up and get rid of the moisture (kind of like they say a short drive to work is harder on your car than a longer drive). My plowing sessions are usually about 1-1/2 hours long, more if I do the neighbors too. That extended plowing time, I believe gives my Cub ample time to dry out and rid itself of moisture. My oil and dip stick are always clean.

My plowing sessions are normally no less than one hour and, depending on the amount of snow to be moved, easily over two. I plow at half throttle and only use full throttle when going from one neighbor to the next.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:33 am

Ricky. I think you can plow all day, in these conditions, and the engine will never reach proper operating temperature, without a little help. It's much healthier for the engine to warm. When I plowed with the Cub, I covered the grill just like Bill does.

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:52 am

I saw a meme on facebook and though I can't remember the exact wording, this pretty much sums it up, and sums up Missouri weather.

Weather in Missouri for winter season.

6 AM - winter
12 Noon - Spring
2 PM - Summer
5 PM- Fall

Of course time of the day may vary by about an hour or so, but that pretty much describes Missouri from November to April.