This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Replace brake Drums ????

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Command52
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19954

Replace brake Drums ????

Postby Command52 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:31 pm

At what point should i replace brake drums , I have completely rebuilt transmission and finals , New bearings, seals and all Have new brakes also. When i measured the wear on the drum as pictured I had about .800 under the gauge to the drum. It does have a few scares as pictured . Thanks Billy
Attachments
Farmall cub brakes.jpg

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Replace brake Drums ????

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi,
It sounds like you are doing a good job.

The drum on the right in your pic looks much smaller than the drum on the left, maybe it's just the pic making it look that way.
Usually if the drums look reasonably good, they can be reused. Sand them with fine sandpaper to smooth the surfaces for the lining.
They do have marks, like you said.
If the drum on the right is smaller than the drum on the left, and you want a really good rebuild, then you could replace it, or both of them, if they are not like you want. :)

Stevetractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 International Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:53 am

When I restored one of my Cubs, one drum was scored fairly deep. Took to the machine shop and they cut just enough off worn one to true it up and cut other one to match. They seem to work fine and was a resonable cost if I remember. Good steel in the original ones I suspect compared to replacements, but just guessing at that.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Stanton » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:38 am

Brakes and drums would come down to two factors: 1) the thickness of the steel around the drum, and 2) the amount of thread left to adjust tension on the band.

If you’re doubting the thickness of the steel to hold up, or you cannot adjust the band any tighter to get a grip/hold, then it probably needs to be replaced.

Not sure if IH ever listed a spec on brake drum thickness.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Command52
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19954

Postby Command52 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:17 pm

Thank you i have spent this much money Think i will replace Them Thank You Billy