This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch peddle not returning all the way

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Annaleigh
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Clutch peddle not returning all the way

Postby Annaleigh » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:18 am

Hi, First post here and wanted to thank all that contribute so much info and help on this wonderful site.

I just acquired a 1950 Farmall cub that would not run. My son and I got it running and we have been going through all the maintenance points.
One thing I noticed is that the clutch peddle is not coming all the way back up. The clutch seems to be working fine and there is no problem depressing the clutch and changing gears. The tractor does not jump or jerk when letting out on the peddle. So all that seems to be working fine. The problem is in the free play of the peddle. The return spring is connected but it takes more force then the spring has to get the peddle back up.
I can pull the peddle up by hand but it is fairly tight. It has about 1.25" of free travel before it starts to push on the pressure plate. It is the free travel that is to tight. What do I need to check first?
Thanks
Annaliegh

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Clutch peddle not returning all the way

Postby john2189 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:09 am

Did you try oiling it? I have to oil mine now and then, there’s a pivot point at the torque tube too. Or maybe the spring is weak,I think TM has them.
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:40 am

The clutch ha a small "stub end" that fits into and rotates in the torque tube housing. Get under the tractor and try to get some oil in there. You may be able to get a thin screwdriver in to pry the clutch away from the housing a little bit to get some oil down to the shaft. As a starter, penetrating oil may work better. IH should have put an oiling hole or mounted a grease fitting for lubrication. When I had my tractor apart, I drilled the torque tub casting to provide an oiling hole to the clutch shaft. When I'm done oiling, I put a small 6/32 screw in the hole to keep dirt out.

John M.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:35 am

Check out the return spring. You might need a new one, or reattach your old one. It goes from the pedal to a slot underneath the floor. It snaps the pedal upright when you take your foot off the pedal. It would be an easy fix. A new spring can be ordered from TM.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:07 am

The "new" '58 cub I just brought home has the same problem...clutch actually works fine, but the pedal does not return all the way, though I can pull it up. I concur with the previous posts...either (or both) weak spring and/or sticky pedal shaft. So the first thing I started with was LOTS of penetrating oil at the clutch pedal shaft, then working it hard up/down/up/down, etc. It did seem to loosen up some, but will keep at it, when I get back out to the farm. If that works, I will follow it up with some better lubricating oil, and maybe a new spring just as a double measure!

Good luck, and welcome!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:25 am

Make sure the battery cable is not holding it up somehow as well.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:03 am

inairam wrote:Make sure the battery cable is not holding it up somehow as well.

That's a very good point. There is supposed to be a "clip" (actually a small band that wraps around the battery and rear light cables) which prevents the clutch pedal from wearing through the insulation. It really is important that it's there, but it's fairly tricky trying to keep it from jamming against the pedal.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Annaleigh
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Annaleigh » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:35 pm

Ok thanks guys! I was able to use some BP Blaster and get it freed up.. While working the clutch peddle and pulling outwards away from the tractor, the rod would move outward about an 1/8". I sprayed it in that position and then worked the lever as I pushed it back towards the tractor. After doing that for about 20 minutes, the peddle easily returns to the deck plate..

Maybe I should start another topic but I'll add it here for now... I was wrong about the 1.25 free travel in the clutch peddle, it has exactly 2".
There is a total travel of 4" from the deck plate down to the stop on the side of the tractor. 2" is free travel and 2" to release the clutch.
Is that ok?
I know on most older cars, less free travel means the clutch is getting thinner.

Thanks
Anna

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website.

2" of free play is too much. The free play is measured at the surface where you put your foot.

There are 2 different styles of linkage, or free play adjustments on Cubs.
The 1st was used when Cubs first came out, in 1947, until Cub serial number 32229. They use a little more free play than the newer style linkage.
Below are pages from Cub owner's manuals showing the adjustments, you can identify which one you have from the pics.
This page shows the 1st style adjustment. The free play for this style is 1 3/16".

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-40.jpg

This page below shows the 2nd style adjustment, it has a bolt that you loosen at the base of the pedal, it is easier the adjust than the 1st style. The free play for this style is 1".

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2056.jpg

After setting the free play to the right amount, watch when you first run the engine and push the clutch, for any metal to metal sounds, sometimes the clutch pressure plate fingers are set too low, and this causes problems with how the clutch works. Don't push the clutch pedal down far enough that it makes noise. Yours might work normally, this info is in case you hear noise.

The pics above show the clutch, grease the throwout bearing grease fitting, if it hasn't been greased lately. The people on here say use cheap grease, the oil in the grease has to absorb into the graphite material that is part of the bearing. :)
Last edited by Glen on Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Annaleigh
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Annaleigh » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:42 am

Thank you Glen.. According to the plate near the steering gear box, it is a F-Cub with a serial number 88294. According to the list provided by TM, the tractor would be a mid 1949.

According to the links you provided (thanks), it has the adjustment right there at the clutch peddle.

The only grease gun we have on hand has white grease in it. We are assuming it is a lithium type grease and that is what we used to grease anything that had a grease fitting, including the throw out bearing... . What do you think about the lithium grease on the throw out bearing?

So if I understand correctly, the free play in the peddle is to keep the 1/8 gap between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate?
In my case where I have 2" of free play, The throw out bearing would always have the 1/8 clearance and more which would not create a problem. The problem with the 2" free play is that the clutch may not have enough clearance to keep from dragging when the peddle is depressed all the way down?

So if the clutch makes noise once i set the peddle free play to 1" and the clutch makes noise, the proper thing to do would be to adjust the fingers on the pressure plate? I understand that is a bit tricky! If it does make noise when depressed all the way down, could I just add a litle more free play till there is no noise?

Thanks
Annaliegh

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi,
Sorry, you did put the year of the Cub above, I guess I read the other posts and forgot you put the year there. The info for both clutch styles might help someone else reading this post.

You know how the clutch works pretty well. Yes, if it makes metal to metal noise after you make the free play 1", the finger height needs checking, or setting.
But if you don't want to adjust the fingers, you could increase the free play some again, as long as the clutch releases fully.

The grease you used may work some for the throwout bearing, not sure. You could wipe a thin layer of grease on the front of the throwout bearing, part way around is good enough, the fingers will spread it around.

Below is a post showing how to adjust the pressure plate fingers through the hand hole under the clutch.
You may not need to do that.

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=66543

Below is the 1949 Cub owner's manual, if you don't have it. The experts on here recommend reading it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1. It has pics of how the Cubs looked new.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

The recommendation in it to use motor oil in the Touch Control was changed later, to use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers. There are other brands, be sure it works with IH systems before buying it. The system holds 3 1/2 Pints of fluid, to change the fluid, so a 1 gallon can is plenty.
Check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the owner's manual says.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the base of the clutch pedal. It makes contact about 2/3 of the length of the shiny part, in the hole made in the clutch housing, so it takes some oil to work into the hole. Some of them get tight from no lube, and need freeing. They usually do pull out about 3/16" from the housing, so that helps to work oil into it.
There is a clamp that goes on the left end for the linkage rod. :)
Attachments
Cub clutch pedal.jpg

Annaleigh
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Annaleigh » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:05 pm

Thanks for all the help! I adjusted the free travel on the peddle to 1" and everything is fine, no noise!

Again Thanks to all for the help!

Annaleigh