This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

leaking carb

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
nbsbbaker
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30467

leaking carb

Postby nbsbbaker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:59 pm

I recently purchased and installed a new carb (China built, assembled in US) for my 51 cub. I put it on and soon after I opened the fuel line from the gas tank (engine not running) gas began dripping from the bottom of the carb. Since this is a new carb I am assuming the guts were assembled correctly but it sure seems that the needle is not seating properly. I really do not want to take this new carb apart but will if I have to. Is there any other reason fuel would leak from the bottom of the carb with the engine off?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: leaking carb

Postby Glen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:54 pm

Hi,
People on here have said that some of the replacement carburetors need the float level set correctly. If the carb has no dirt in the needle and seat, it may need the float level set.

Below is a page from the Cub service manual showing the float level.
You have to remove the top half of the carb, and turn it upside down, like the pic of the Zenith carb, at the lower right of the page.
Be sure to use the IH carb specs, if it is an IH style carb.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 002-09.jpg

Check the float drop also, it is shown in the pic.
Pull the halves of the carb straight apart for 4", don't twist them apart. There is a small idle tube that screws into the top half, and sticks into the bottom half, it is easy to break.
Tighten everything on the carb gently, the metal is soft, and threads can strip. :)

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Stanton » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:38 am

There are several helpful threads in the How To Forum under Fuel that can step you through any fuel-related issue: http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=139
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

nbsbbaker
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30467

Postby nbsbbaker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:08 am

Thanks for the response. I was hoping not to have to take the carb apart but I may have to.