This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor stopped working!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
47lincsled
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86022
Tractors Owned: 47 Farm all cub

Governor stopped working!

Postby 47lincsled » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm

1947 Cub lowboy.
I recently had to pull my carb to rebuild it,after I reinstalled it I realized the governor wasn't working,before I pull it off I thought I would ask and see if I missed something!
The rockshaft arm has about an inch of free travel,with the linkage disconnected from the carb I can move it back and forth at least an inch. I assume the forks have come off the thrust sleeve some how,I've never been into one of these so I'm not exactly sure how it all fits together,I have a manual so I can see what all is in the just not sure.
Any suggestions are always greatly appreciated!

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Governor stopped working!

Postby Urbish » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Not sure what you have since there was no LoBoy in 1947, but alas your governor problem will be universal whether a LoBoy or not. Are you sure the arm on the throttle butterfly is clocked correctly? I recommend you look through the manual and follow the governor adjustment procedure. Also, look at the governor from the right front side of the tractor and verify that the externally mounted extension spring is present and not broken. I recommend you verify all external adjustments before tearing into the governor.

Jim

Circle of Safety

47lincsled
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 47lincsled » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:44 pm

Thanks Urbish,The spring is still in place and yes I think I got the throttle shaft in the wrong way! If it's not raining too hard tomorrow I'll pull it off and swapp it around.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:55 am

Hi,
IH began making Cub LoBoys in 1955.
The Farmall Cub, and Cub LoBoy have separate serial number lists.
The first Farmall Cub was made in 1947, and was serial number 501.
The first Cub Loboy was made in 1955, and was serial number 501, so if you have a LoBoy, you have to use the serial number list for the LoBoy, not the Farmall Cub.
The lists are at the top of the page, at Cub Info.

If you have the engine off, and the throttle ahead some, the linkage ahead of the carburetor will usually move forward and back some. That is normal.

The external governor linkage has to be adjusted right, for the governor to work right.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor, of the left side of the governor.
You could also oil where the cotter key is in the pic, and try to work some oil into the pivot. The linkage gets tight there on some Cubs. :)
Attachments
Cub gov 3.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

47lincsled
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 47lincsled » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:18 am

Thanks for the info,I guess it is a 56 Lo-Boy then,number 3809 with a large J afterward,I didn't realize there were different numbers for the different versions. Hopefully getting the throttle turned around will set thing right,no wonder I couldn't get it to idle down!

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:52 am

The J indicates that it has a "Rockford" clutch.
Jim

Circle of Safety

47lincsled
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 47lincsled » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks Urbish, That is my next winter project,break it down and put a clutch in it,I was looking at clutch kits and saw that the Rockford option,now I know!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi,
Glad you found the year of the LoBoy.

You didn't say if the clutch is doing anything bad or not.
If it works normally, and the throwout bearing is good, it doesn't need replacing.

Some of the people on here prefer an original IH pressure plate, if they are in good condition.
People have written on here that some of the new imported pressure plates are not good quality, and only last for a short time, then they had to replace it again.
One man wrote that he had put in a new foreign made pressure plate, and used it a short time, and one of the 3 fingers bent down, so he had to split the Cub, and replace it again. He thought the metal was too soft.
You can look in through the hand hole under the clutch, with a light, and see how it looks.
The graphite sticks out of a new throwout bearing 5/16". They can wear down from use. Some old ones are good, some are worn down. Grease it's grease fitting while you are there, with cheap grease, so the oil in the grease absorbs into the graphite.
I put a thin layer of grease on the front of the bearing too, part way around is enough, the fingers will move the grease around.
Below is a pic of a new throwout bearing.

Below is the 1957 Cub LoBoy owner's manual. The experts on here recommend reading it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
There is a pic of the clutch on page 57. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html
Attachments
Cub.jpg

47lincsled
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 47lincsled » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:34 pm

The clutch still works but it is out of adjustment and I have to mash the pedal pretty hard to get into 1st and reverse,my hydraulic system is leaking pretty bad as well so I figured I would install new o rings in it while I have it split.
My tractor still has to earn it's keep,it's not just for parades or show,so I'll have to wait until winter when it gets to sit.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Urbish wrote:The J indicates that it has a "Rockford" clutch.

That is when it left the factory. With the clutch being a wear item, and the age of the Cub, the only thing remaining of a Rockford style clutch could be that J.

47lincsled
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 47lincsled » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm

I guess I'll have to break it down before I actually order the clutch parts! Unless you can see which one it has through the inspection hole?

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 pm

They do look different, and can be seen through the hand hole, so I think you should be able to tell which one is installed.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

47lincsled
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 47lincsled » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Great if this rain ever stops I'll take a look and make note of it for this winter!Thanks

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi,
It is common on Cubs that the pressure plate fingers are too low, and need adjusting, or raising up.
The clutch won't release right if the fingers are too low.
The problem could also be the throwout bearing is worn down.
A new clutch won't release right if the fingers are too low. They have said on here that a new clutch needs the fingers adjusted also.

Below is a post from the How To Forum showing how to adjust the fingers through the hand hole.
You can do this, and it may work better through the year.

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=66543

There were 2 brands of clutches used, the Rockford and the Auburn. They look different, it is easy to see which it has through the hand hole. The Rockford has 6 coil springs, the Auburn has 3 springs.

Below are pics from TM Tractor of them. The Rockford is in the first pic.
The 3rd pic shows the 2 surfaces to measure to, when setting the finger height. The height is set with the pressure plate assembled on the flywheel, not off, like the pic.
I don't see that the Auburn has any way to adjust the finger height, the way that the Rockford does. :)
Attachments
Cub clutch Rockford.jpg
Cub clutch Auburn .jpg
Cub clutch 3.jpg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:50 pm

I don't see anything useful from identifying your current clutch. As far as I know, everything available today is Rockford style. Once everyone quit riveting new facings on old disks and repairing their own pressure plate assemblies, every part interchanges.