Belly Mowers

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hairy Moose Knuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super C

Belly Mowers

Postby Hairy Moose Knuckles » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:38 am

I'm on the hunt for a Cub and I have a few questions. As some of you know, about 9 years ago I bought a super C and used it for a few years. My super C now needs more than I want to invest, so I'm thinking about a cub again. A couple of questions.

If one comes set up with a belly mower, how difficult is it to remove. Let me see if I can explain myself better.

Say today I want to mow, tomorrow I want to plow and the following day I want to mow again.

Is that feasible?

Also, is mowing 3 acres asking too much of a cub?
:tractor: Its me, Ant-Knee :tractor:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Belly Mowers

Postby Barnyard » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:58 am

Buy two Cubs. Taking off the mower, setting up a plow and then switching again takes uo a bit of time. Mowing three acres will be no problem.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub "Bernie" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:19 am

I mow about 8 acres with my cub and Woods 42...it does great.
I agree with Barnyard, you might as well just get TWO. Down the road you may think of other things you want to do with your cub, and it will make it that much easier!! Of course, Barnyard has a BARN full of cubs, so you need to consider the source!! :lol:

You might consider a fast hitch for your cub...a bit more money, probably, for the implements, but would certainly make changing implements easier. If you don't want the Woods 42F (for the fast hitch, more scarce and expensive), you could get the chain drive adapter for use with a belly mower on a tractor with a fast hitch.

Hairy Moose Knuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hairy Moose Knuckles » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks to you both! I've just started my search. They used to be plentiful around here and junky ones still are. I'm trying to be more picky on this purchase. I'm a little wiser this time around, not a whole lot wiser, but enough that hopefully I won't get snakebit. If I have to, I could part out my Super C and get a little more cash. I also have a 23 yo motorhome we aren't using I could sell. As always I'll keep you guys informed and bug you with questions as we go.

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:17 pm

I have both a 1959 Fast Hitch Cub Lo-Boy mounted with a Woods 59" belly mower, and a 1954 Farmall Super C with Fast hitch that I use a 3-point adapter with a 6' tow behind finishing mower. We use both on about 5 acres around the farm, but the Super C is much faster. So much so that we use the Cub just for the steep slopes and around the edges. So, I would fix up that Super C and then take your time looking for a Cub with a good mower deck. And keep both running. But the Cub is really underpowdered and takes a long time to mow any land.
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:57 pm

3 acres mowing no problem, 10X that wouldn't be a problem for the Cub (but I don't know if I'd want to be the driver though......)

Switching back and forth that much could be done but would be a pain and take up mowing time. I would think two Cubs would be a better choice. But then you're doubling the cost and it may be less expensive to fix the Super C. I know this is the Cub forum but what ails the Super C so bad that you may have to part it out?

Hairy Moose Knuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hairy Moose Knuckles » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:12 pm

Scrivet,

Mostly Engine. The engine is stuck and the head needs work.

I worked all last spring and summer trying to unstick it. Finally just gave up.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 pm

Push each sleeve and piston out as one assembly. You may then have to break the sleeves off to retrieve the connecting rods. You can find a replacement s&p set for under $300.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:11 am

What is the difference between the Woods 42 for the Cub and the one for the A/Super A/100/130/140? I would assume the rear mounting brackets and pulley. Is there a twist in the belt to account for the backwards PTO on the Cub?

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
"It ain't a !@*% A. It's a SUPER A!"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:55 am

Hairy Moose Knuckles wrote: My super C now needs more than I want to invest, so I'm thinking about a cub again.
Hairy Moose Knuckles wrote:Mostly Engine. The engine is stuck and the head needs work. I worked all last spring and summer trying to unstick it. Finally just gave up.
A new sleeves and pistons kit, plus valve work, will more than likely cost less than a Cub in work ready condition.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:20 am

If you are used to a super c, then you will NEVER get along with a cub!!!! Cubs are great but not for what you want to do !! ---- Fix the C!!! ---If I had that choice, there would be no question which way I would go! ---- A good IH 464 would be more what you would need. ( It could plow/disk/till/etc, but not cultivate due to being utility model) Just my .02 on the subject!

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:33 am

If you buy a Cub with lights on it, like ours does, you could take all night to mow those 3 acres instead of watching television. And if you are married, you could assign the wife to the mowing job, so that eliminates all of your effort except for lifting those 5 gallon gas containers to keep it filled. And if you have any kids 10 years old or more, mowing with that Cub will produce a more fulfilled child with no need for car driving lessons when they get to that age. After learning to mow with our Cub at 13 years old, my wife's daughter got in a car with a clutch at 17 years old and drove on down the road like she had been driving for years. And starting on hills were just no problem!
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Hairy Moose Knuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hairy Moose Knuckles » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:06 pm

SONNY wrote:If you are used to a super c, then you will NEVER get along with a cub!!!! Cubs are great but not for what you want to do !! ---- Fix the C!!! ---If I had that choice, there would be no question which way I would go! ---- A good IH 464 would be more what you would need. ( It could plow/disk/till/etc, but not cultivate due to being utility model) Just my .02 on the subject!

I was in better health when I did all my work with the SC. These days I don't see very well, don't get around too well and wife would never let me back on it even if it was running. I thought the smallness of the cub might allow me to get outside and piddle. I haven't even mentioned a cub to her. Haha.

Plus I mowed down a few tomatoes last year with the xmark mower.

A cub was just something I always wanted even before I got the SC.

ajhbike
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1950 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 Ferguson TO-20
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:46 pm

Cubs can be a pain to get on and off with or without a step...the darn steering column is always making ya twist around it. It was kindof a pain before but after hip surgery, it has been awkward. I have thought about the future knowing my hip will get better but the years advance and i am seriously thinking of an old Ford or Massey...something that is low to the ground to do quick tasks and zip around. Maybe you should consider that.

No rush, but I am thinking ahead. BTW, the SC can be a bit awkward and slippery when wet snow covered up on the axle/deck too. I have thought about welding a big piece of grip strut on the axle . The 3020 is easy because it has nice steps that I built and the Intl 504 HC does too.

offrink
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:46 pm

The two things I use my cub for is mowing and plowing snow. My Ferguson to-30 can’t plow like the cub can! Plus the belly mower for the cub is nice. Everything else is the to-30’s job except when raw power is needed and the the super M comes in!