This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New head gasket leaking

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Flybeyes
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 80116
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub

New head gasket leaking

Postby Flybeyes » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:26 pm

I’ve had my engine rebuilt, the head milled flat and it’s been sitting reassembled for about two years. I paid close attention to putting each bolt back where it came from. The pattern of tightening and torque specs were followed. I now have the cub nearly done and I’m starting to add fluids. I’ll add them, then wait a few days and wait for a drip. Then I’ll tighten things up and keep moving. I’m in no hurry. What I have leaking is the most forward intake manifold hole is leaking anti freeze. Basically the second hole from the front. The engine has not been started yet. I tightened all the head bolts as tight as I feel comfortable trying/hoping not to break one. I still have a slow leak of antifreeze. The quantity I added was 9.5quarts. It’s not a big deal to take the head back off. I do not have the tank on yet. I’m just checking to see your thoughts. Could I have put the head gasket on upside down? Could it be a bad head gasket? Will Permatex Copper Spray-a-Gasket help? Could the block be cracked? I’m stumped until I take it off. I’ll keep you posted when I do. I’m doing this project with my son so we both have to coordinate our schedules so things sometimes don’t move swiftly.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New head gasket leaking

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:38 pm

Most folks say you need to put sealant on the head bolts, since they extend into the water jacket. Did you use any sealant on them?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Flybeyes
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 80116
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub

Postby Flybeyes » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:45 pm

I did not. On the threads? What sealant is recommended?

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:51 pm

I spray the new headgasket with permatex hi tack sealant then assemble it. I dip each head bolt in permatex just like it comes from the factory.

I had a big block 396/400hp that didn’t like headgasket. I narrowed it down to needing a bigger 4 row radiator. But I learned this way to follow assembling the heads and never blew a head gasket again. I follow this order on every engine.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi,
The head bolts need sealer on their threads to prevent water leaks, they go into the engine water jacket.
I think the people on here have said the 4 manifold studs need sealer too.

Below is a post I wrote on, with info, and pics of the sealer products. It is part way down the page. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102173&p=807860

If you have put it together, and put antifreeze in it, drain the coolant first. Wash the threads with clean water to remove the antifreeze, and dry them with compressed air, before putting sealer on, it has to stick some on the metal. Wear your safety glasses when using the air.

The head bolts are torqued to 45 ft lbs, the Cub service manual says.
Below is a page from it, with the torque sequence, if you need it.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 001-14.jpg

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:52 am

Flybeyes wrote:...I tightened all the head bolts as tight as I feel comfortable trying/hoping not to break one...

That's not an option. Your head bolts should be Grade 8 or stronger and use a torque wrench to get the exact lbs/foot torque called for in the Manual. Torque them in sequence and use a gradual increment to achieve final poundage. Torque to 15 lbs/foot each round for 3 rounds and that will bring you up to 45 lbs/foot. Run engine until good and hot, allow to cool, then re-torque as necessary to specs.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety